Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Very slow internet speed after testing

Since I got up this morning my internet speed through the NBN has dropped from its normal 40-50 mbps and is currently at less than 5 and has not gone over 10 all day.

I am struggling to connect to games, email and can’t connect at all to the itunes store.

What gives?

Is there an outage or has someone strangled my speed or have you not bought enough bandwidth?

This had better be very short term problem as this is not the service speed I have paid for.

Someone please respond for Optus.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Very slow internet speed after testing

What NBN technology type? Do you have a small NBN modem?
Have you checked the Optus outages web page?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

No fixed outages, only mobile upgrade in the next suburb. It seems to be pretty much back to normal now but I've never had it drop so low for a very long time since I was on the 50Mbps level tariff.

Now back to just over 40 Mbps at 4.00 pm.

Modem is not the issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

If you have this modem then you may have been running on 4G backup (during a short outage) which has a max speed of 12Mbps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Afraid it wasn't that. I would love to have a 4G back-up modem as there have been some issues at the node after the floods earlier this year and that left me with nothing for days on end twice in the last few months.

Can someone from Optus advise if they can send me one?

I still have the basic modem they sent out two years ago when the previous one stopped working. It's pretty basic and I do see that Telstra now immediately provide customers with 4G back-up modems as do Vodafone if I swap to their services.

I haven't been able to get through to anyone at Optus since Covid-19 except through Live Chat on the second occasion the node went down and they just managed to send someone out but the next day I could not even get through to Live Chat, never mind telephone or email or other contact methods.

I wanted to ask for a refund on my Optus Sport package as there was no sport to watch (except pointless reruns) but I could not get through to anyone to discuss!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Flashart53 wrote:

Can someone from Optus advise if they can send me one?

At the moment its only available on selected plans as described in the link I gave, so you would have to re-contract to one of those to get it.

I haven't been able to get through to anyone at Optus since Covid-19 except through Live Chat

Do you mean through messaging in the app? You can also try through private messaging on twitter of facebook.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You can get the 4G modem (if its in stock) essentially on request. Its $250 or so and that reduces to $0 owed over three years. If you leave before then you will owe the pro rata remainder.

I believe Optus provided its sports for free over the past few months?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

My package didn’t reduce in cost. I continued to be charged $80 on that plan which includes phone/50/20 nbn, mighty fetch and Optus Sport so I got nothing back from them.

I have just messaged them about changing plans to get the back up modem but after 40 minutes I was ready to go ahead then I was gold I was being transferred from sales to an expert in another department regarding the change of modem then nothing!!!

I waited another 15 minutes but the massaging went dead so again Optus cannot use their own technology and failed to complete my upgrade.

Very frustrating and I’ve got nowhere after another wasted hour.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

For massaging please read messaging.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Also, I don’t partake in ‘anti-social media’. 😉