cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Lynchee
New Contributor

Varying NBN speeds 0.07Mbs to 24.6Mbs in a 20 minute window

I've been on the phone for days and days to the useless Optus technical desk.....trying to sort out what going on. But haven't got anywhere... (6 hard resets later on my modem and 4 hard resets of my Fetch box).. Baically my fetch TV cant stream any optus sport channels or any NON free to air channels---- "Streaming Issue". -- But I beleive thats because im getting these speeds...... Here are my download speeds..(in Mbps).. 1 test per minute for 20minutes 17.6 0.25 0.21 .63 19.4 2.8 0.07 0.52 0.52 13.7 0.07 0.2 17.4 0.91 .58 13.1 7.25 0.34 1.02 0.26 Has anyone else had this issue..... seriously the Optus technical team have no idea what to do (other than a HARD RESET of every device)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RetiredModerator Shauna
RetiredModerator

Re: Varying NBN speeds 0.07Mbs to 24.6Mbs in a 20 minute window

Hey @Lyncee - that's quite a vast change between speeds!

Have you been provided with any fault reference numbers we could look into? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi,

What NBN tech do you have? FTTN? How are you doing a speed test? Make sure they are over a word connection to the device, preferably a PC. Do you have one?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Lynchee
New Contributor

Hi Shauna.

Unfortunately not. Each if the six help desk team members have just madr me oerform a hard reset and when that didnt work they have then asked me to perform another one then tell me they will change things 'their end' and get back to me.... its like a carbon copy conversation  (they clearly just  follow some documented steps ...  then if things still dont work... their lost at what to do.

BTW. Not one of the six have got back to me yet.  (Ive been trying since Friday to get this fixed.)

0 Kudos
New Contributor Lynchee
New Contributor

I have the hybrid connection. (Where the connection to my house comes through the old foxtel wiring.)  Ive had it for about 12 months. No worries. Until now.    Yes im doing the speed tests on my laptop at 1 to 2 minutes intervals.....     so strange.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

HFC NBN?

Ok based on your tests the issue would seem to be with the NBN itself (or a faulty modem). Optus should be able to run a series of speed tests from their end so request that (obviously stress a single test is likely not going to catch the issue though)

I'd be looking to have a NBN technician called in to test your line. It sounds like a fault in the lead in. 

Only other test I'd suggest is sign up for a free 1 month sub on Netflix and see how that streams to your laptop. Make sure its at a high resolution setting.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos