Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Wilbur94
New Contributor

Using my own modem on NBN FTTN

Hey guys! 

So heres the problem. I purchased one killer D link modem a year back that is compatible with ALL internet network types. When I was on the RDSL package I used my Dlink DSL-2890AL modem and router. I had not a single issue with it after optus help me set it up. (keep in mind I have at least 100 wireless and wired connections to the modem). As soon as I got onto the NBN FTTN optus tech support bassically said 'nup you have to use our piece of s*** segcom modem' theres multiple reasons I want to use the dlink 2 major ones is that MOST of my devices are 5ghz only so half of the network isnt working and 2 the ammount of times the segcom modem crashes because it simply cant keep out with the amount strain the home network requires. 

So my question is, how can i set up my 'NBN and UFB ready' dlink modem on the optus network? it has driven me into the ground that optus keeps saying I cant use my own equipment and they arent taking my promise seriously enough that i want disconnect because I CANNOT use their segcom modem.

Any help will be massivly appreciated.

Will.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RetiredModerator Nghi
RetiredModerator

Re: Using my own modem on NBN FTTN

Hey Wilbur94, you can use any VDSL2 compatible modem on your FTTN connection. Caveats being that our Optus VoIP may not work without our Sagemcom modem connected and we can't provide you any support at all for third-party hardware. Other customer's may be able to give you advice and experience using their own modem on a FTTN connection.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi Wilbur94,

I and quite a few others agree with what you are saying. There have been some versions of success with setting up your own router and the supplied P.O.S Sagemslow to effect both good WiFi network and still have telephone operational. This however is still not good enough as far as I beleive. We Should have an alternative that is of better performance than what is offered at present.

Please do a search, either on my name or your topic header and you will find some answers, but I cannot say for certain that they will be without flaw. On "Whirlpool Forums", look for topics by Pete Y Testing, he has had some success in sorting his OPTUS and BYO issues.

As an aside note, I can only speak from my experience, but while everyone around me is having issues with their ISP's and downtime and lag etc, I am happy to say that this is the one thing that OPTUS has never failed me on. I get the speed I pay for, constant connection and reliable service. If only they had hardware that could supply me with the last part in my house and not the rubbish we get.

Jeff

If you go through life with your head buried in the sand,......all people will see is an ass..!
I am an OPTUS customer and NOT in their service.!!!!
0 Kudos
New Contributor Wilbur94
New Contributor

Hey Jeff!

I couldnt find anything on Whirlpool Forums 😭 it so isn't happening for me. How ever your answer has still given me hope!

Cheers

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I know it can be frustrating, I am sorry I cannot get much time to search myself and give you a good link to the Whirlpool direct. However, today I was made ware of a new AC router modem that OPTUS are now using. This means dual band, 2.4 and 5 Ghz WiFi. I have started a new topic with the specifications aand a photo of it in the NBN section of the Forums. Although it has IPV6 functionality, this is only a presence until it is operational on the network. Still much better than the current version, it has the IPV6 completely removed.

Maybe worth a look, as it could unload you WiFi congestion at home.

If your other router is WAN capable, plug that in as first unit, then the Sagemcom into that. I beleive this is the preferred methodolgy to retain the phone service and provide reliable access to using your own equipment. Just ensure your DNS is not the same as the Sagemcom's 192.168.0.1 or you have conflict issues.

Another item in your Sagemcom to check is your WiFi settings, ensure your broadccast is on high, 40mhz, and you are in the upper bandwidth. I myself use ch 11. If you have a smart phone, get yourself a free WiFi scanner and ensure that you are not clashing with any other nearby WiFi. There are only three channels that do not overlap on the 2.4 freq so chances are if you have not set this and your neighbors are also the same, then with everyone on auto setting you are probably on ch 5/6 and choking Smiley Sad. There are many things you can do, patience and seeking help is a great start.

Good luck and keep asking.  Jeff

If you go through life with your head buried in the sand,......all people will see is an ass..!
I am an OPTUS customer and NOT in their service.!!!!
0 Kudos
New Contributor velhomoleque
New Contributor

This is a belated response to the BYO-modem-to-NBN "problem". The only hassle I had was that the D-Link2880 modem has no telephone port. Direct connection of my modem to the NBN box worked very well for internet, and allowed me to keep all my domestic hard-ISP settings. Only after a fruitless hour of trying various permutations of cabling to the phone, did I learn a few things that may be dead obvious (in hindsight) but might assist other potential bunnies like me. (1) Forget the DSL port on any and all modems! (2) Hook up the cable from the NBN box to the RED ethernet port of the mediocre (but at least functional) SAGEMCOM box. (3) run an ethernet cable from any of the free ethernet ports on the Sagem to the RED port on your BYO modem. (4) plug the telephone into the free telephone RJ port on the SAGEM. (5) Turn on the Sagem, give it a minute, and turn on the BYO modem. wait for the BYO to settle. (6) Sanity will be restored. Finally, I suspect lots of us will have had to fork out additional $s to compensate for the fact that the NBN terminal may be up to 30metres away from the important hardware. A strategy that has worked well for me was to invest about $100 in a pair of up-to-date powerline ("homeplug") adapters and run the signal from the NBN box through the household wiring to where the modems reside.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

The D-Link 2890 is an ADSL (only) modem - like many working ADSL modems, it won't work on FTTN.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors