cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: User Manual for SAGEMCOM F@ST 5366 LTE

@Tom_nickname wrote:

I finally found out that you have to press-and-hold it for 2 seconds before the WiFi light goes out, and the reverse, 2 seconds for it to turn on. You might like to add that to your document.

Thanks for the feedback Tom. Unfortunately I can't update that post, but if I could I'd probably change it to something like this:

• WIFI Button - Holding this button down for 2 seconds will toggle WiFi on/off.
  • WPS Button - Holding this button down for 2 seconds will put the modem in Wi-Fi Protected Setup mode for the next 2 minutes (indicated by a flashing WiFi light) . This allows other devices to connect via the Wi-Fi Protected Setup method. Those devices usually have a WPS button themselves that needs to be pressed after the routers WPS button is pressed.

holding it down for 3 or 4 seconds resulted in the unit crashing and rebooting. With WiFi now hard disabled and the button not turning it on again. I had to go into the web-based program to turn them on again.

I have no problem with holding the button down 3-4 seconds or longer.

I've had it crash a lot since then. Asking for the logs, - crash! Asking for other information in the Web Page - crash! It isn't very stable.

You may have corrupted firmware/data.

I'd recommend doing a factory reset by pushing a paper clip into the reset hole on the back for 10 seconds (while its powered up of course). Leave it alone for the next say 4-5 minutes while it goes through the reset process.

Note that you will lose any changes you may have made to the modem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

What is a matter with you and Optus?
People here is looking for the manual but not for the quick setup.
The problem is because Optus resolved to lock this modem.and no-one can even setup a NAT on it. We unfortunately have received this modem and the support don't help nothing.
Where is the manual for it? How can I deactivate and activate the firewall?
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Might be time for a factory reset
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Same issue here.  The Sagemcom modem will not communicate with any device connected behind another network switch or router.  The peripherals have to be connected directly to the Sagemcom modem for the ethernet connection to work.  Unfortunately I have a number of IP security cameras, a NAS, two printers, media players, Xbox and a family full of computers, so there is not enough ports.

The only way to do it is completely wifi, but not all of the devices have wifi capability.

Optus team were of no help at all.  They have referred me to Sagemcom for instructions on how to change the Firewall settings, which is what I think the problem is.

Still haven't heard back from Sagemcom.  So, it looks like I am going back to my old ISP and a modem/router that works.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@MarkM1008 wrote:

Same issue here.  The Sagemcom modem will not communicate with any device connected behind another network switch or router.  The peripherals have to be connected directly to the Sagemcom modem for the ethernet connection to work.

If you plug a switch (especially a standard consumer unmanaged switch) into a Sagemcom's LAN port then the devices connected to the switch will behave exactly as if they are plugged directly into the Sagemcom themselves.

If you plug a router into a  Sagemcom's LAN port that's a whole new ballgame. There are multiple things to consider and configuration setting to change on said router, even if you use the routers LAN or WAN port to connect to the Sagemcom, and it all depends on how you intend to use that router and/or the devices connected to it.

Unfortunately I have a number of IP security cameras, a NAS, two printers, media players, Xbox and a family full of computers, so there is not enough ports.

If you want to access the IP security cameras from the internet then that may or may not be possible depending on your very specific cameras.

Same applies to NAS for remote access, but should not apply to local access unless the NAS is being access locally via a public internet address or a domain/subdomain name.

Xbox will have limited access due to the Sagemcom firewall, but that can generally be fixed by port forwarding.

Computers are complicated because they have their own firewall and antivirus software that can block different apps for different reasons. But for general access to the internet they should be fine.

And if you want everything on your network to be able to see and talk to each other the simplest way is to just use switches as using routers just for their ports adds complexity and therefore problems.

The only way to do it is completely wifi, but not all of the devices have wifi capability.

If it works with WiFi it will work with a simple switch.

They have referred me to Sagemcom for instructions on how to change the Firewall settings

The firewall settings can not be changed so Sagemcom will not be able to help you. The only thing that you can do is port forwarding, and Sagemcom will not help you with that.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply, but what you have suggested is not what I have found.  I expected to see what you said, but that is not what is happening in my case.

Firstly, everything worked fine with my previous ISP and their NBN modem (and their ADSL one before that).  I had remote IP and NAS access just fine and had done for years.  It is only when I switched to Optus NBN last week that it all went pear-shaped.

The simple and unmanaged switch, when plugged into my old ISP modem all worked fine.  When I plugged it into the Sagemcom, I can see the devices on the Sagemcom webpage, but cannot communicate with them at all, nor will they communicate with each other.  Just plugging in the unmanaged switch definitely does not just work.  If I bypass the switch and plug the ethernet cables into the Sagemcom modem, then they work fine.

The devices work on wifi because they connect directly to the Sagemcom modem and this bypasses the network switch.  If they are connected by ethernet via the network switch, they do not work.  I have a couple of spare switches and I have tried all of them - same problem.  The common denominator is the Sagemcom.

My NAS now cannot communicate with the IP cameras and they re all on the same network switch.  I suspect that the Sagemcom modem IP & DHCP setttings are also causing issues.  Whilst I can reset the IP cameras and change their IP settings to get them working (as I have done with the NAS when connected directly to the Sagemcom), it is of no use if the switches still cannot talk to the Sagemcom modem and so on.

I am not sure that port forwarding is going to solve all of my problems.  If I cannot change the firewall settings on the Sagemcom modem or fix whatever it is that is causing this issue, then the easiest solution is to remove the Sagemcom modem and Optus with it.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@MarkM1008 wrote:

I had remote IP and NAS access just fine and had done for years.  It is only when I switched to Optus NBN last week that it all went pear-shaped.

The 5366 series has a know issue where is does not support NAT Loopback. The impact of that limitation is dependant on the specific implementation of a given IP camera, NAS, remote access software etc. If the device/software uses the public IP address internally while the device/software is operating on the LAN then access will fail because it can't route the public IP back into the LAN (i.e. it can't loop back).

The simple and unmanaged switch, when plugged into my old ISP modem all worked fine.  When I plugged it into the Sagemcom, I can see the devices on the Sagemcom webpage, but cannot communicate with them at all, nor will they communicate with each other.  Just plugging in the unmanaged switch definitely does not just work.  If I bypass the switch and plug the ethernet cables into the Sagemcom modem, then they work fine.

What you are describing goes against my understanding of how a dumb switch is supposed to work, as it should be transparent to the device it plugs into upstream.

Having said that though, I suspect what might be happening here is your devices might be operating on a different subnet to the Sagemcom, even though a switch is supposed to handle any number of subnets operating on it at the same time.

The Sagemcom's IP address is 192.168.0.1 and so its subnet is 192.168.0.xxx, so its DHCP will issue IPs in that range. Do your other devices have fixed IP addresses (if so, are they in a different subnet like maybe 192.168.1.xxx), or do they obtain their IP via DHCP?

Your devices must all be on the same subnet to see each other.

The devices work on wifi because they connect directly to the Sagemcom modem and this bypasses the network switch.  If they are connected by ethernet via the network switch, they do not work.

WiFi and LAN access will have different IP addresses (generally), so I'm guessing that WiFi is set up to use DHCP, and LAN is not.

I have a couple of spare switches and I have tried all of them - same problem.  The common denominator is the Sagemcom.

Yes, but no confirmation that the network settings on your devices are correct for the Sagemcom.

Whilst I can reset the IP cameras and change their IP settings to get them working (as I have done with the NAS when connected directly to the Sagemcom), it is of no use if the switches still cannot talk to the Sagemcom modem and so on.

The simplest thing to do is to change the IP address of the Sagemcom to match the IP address of the router its replacing (assuming of course that old one was not 192.168.0.1).

I am not sure that port forwarding is going to solve all of my problems.

It won't and its not intended to as it appears that the basic problem might be IP addresses/subnets. Once the switch is working then port forwarding may still be required, if not for the cameras/NAS (due to NAT loopback problem), then probbaly for the xbox.

I am not sure that port forwarding is going to solve all of my problems.  If I cannot change the firewall settings on the Sagemcom modem or fix whatever it is that is causing this issue, then the easiest solution is to remove the Sagemcom modem

If your NBN is anything other than FTTN or FTTB then you can use any router you want instead of the Sagemcom, as long as you don't have/use an Optus home phone, or don't need the 5366 LTE's 4G backup fully integrated into your network.

and Optus with it.

Well, if you can't get it to work then of course there is no point in staying with Optus, but if you do decide to jump ship make sure you research who you want to go with in case they have similar problems, or problems of their own.

0 Kudos