cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: User Management Secondary Email Addresses Gone

Understand. I was in exactlt identical situation. I spent hours on this including phone calls and chats that I used to copy and save as proof. Very high stress. I had backups, and bit the bullet. Was able to do redirects on emails. Never looked back. Any problems now are totally my responsibility and I'm not hostage to a mega company with poor offerings and poor support track record. Ask the ombudsman. Oh and they're all the same. Good luck!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

On the whole issue of managing your secondary email accounts, it's functionality we'll soon see restored to My Account.

I'm not in the position to offer time-lines, but it's something that the team is actively working on. 

It's not ideal, but if you need to confirm your email or arrange for a temporary password, you'll need to contact us.

If you need to change your password, you'll need to do so via the Optus Webmail portal. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dan, appreciate the honestly, its the most honest and clear answer I've gotten on specific problem in ages. Is there a "case number" or ticket number I can use internally. I was forced to engage the TIO unfortunately so will help if I can refer to a ticket so they can give me time frames for a solution and I will just ask the TIO mediator to get a timeline on the fix. If I get one and the answer happens to apply to all customers then I can share back here.
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Well, how about this - it's happened again!!  email address and secondary email addresses disaapeared. One address returned with ALL content DELETED.

This problem was supposed to have been fixed and would never happen again - FALSE PROMISE.

The follow up phone call turned out to be a message saying probelem had been escalted to further up the food chain.

I am wondering why I stay with Optus.

TIO next stop.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Well done Paul.

I'm another customer who's frustrated at not being listened to regarding this issue.

I've been an Optus customer for many years, and set up (secondary) email "accounts" for all family members immediately after I became a customer.  I hadn't noticed that the ability to manage "My Service" and those secondary email accounts had vanished until early 2019.  I tried through every seemingly logical channel to get someone in Optus to understand what was missing, and why I wanted to know how I should now manage those email accounts, but in the end I got distracted by other matters.  My suspicion all along my exasperating journey was that was what Optus had been hoping would happen; I would simply give up.  On my journey, I read contributions to this and other groups and threads going back I think to 2015, all seemingly trying to get Optus to simply understand that in closing My Services, this functionality had been lost.  I still don't see any simple public acknowledgement by Optus that this functionality is no longer available, either temporarily or permanently.  I still think Optus is hoping we'll get distracted and stop asking.  To be honest, I suspect Optus has decided they only want to provide NBN and mobile services, and that they no longer want to provide a functional email service with their ISP service.  Surely they realise that despite many years of loyalty, if they stop providing my household with a functional email service, then we are free to explore the offerings of other ISPs?   

Anyway, enough rant.  PLEASE, if you get any updates from ANY source, but especially from Optus or the TIO, keep this thread informed.

Cheers.

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yep they realise. The only reason RSP emails exist is to keep people otherwise unhappy with the price, service, functionality chained to the same RSP. Grab a free GMail account, as many as you need) and you will have much more control, better security, spam filtering and freedom to select an RSP on factors other than you need to keep your email address.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

We've covered this before I believe. Gmail is free because your the product. They use the data you put in there for commercial reasons, where as Optus provides private accounts associated with your service. Its not an apples for apples comparison.

So rare these days to be defending Optus but we just need to fix it as those private secondary accounts are a useful part of the service offering. Lets not through the baby out with the bath water as Optus is a big company with many areas some work well some need significant work to fix. The issue is in the IT department and them not doing the right thing here to get the portal working.

lci, I'm just sending a note to TIO now to ask them to start mediation. I've given it a couple months and even tried Optus complaints but they get half way and then you don't here from them anymore. They even scheduled a site visit to drop off replacement modem/router equipment and never showed.

I was really hoping Dan could give me the ticket/case details and I push through TIO to get this fixed but no case number was given to me.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@paulp1

I agree GMail have a business model of using your information but its also very easy to minimise this aspect. Settings are provided up front to privatise your data and ensure you don't receive targeted anything. Its not perfect but IMO a reasonable trade off between privacy and functionality (the product is extremely good). I say this as someone who absolutely abhors Loyalty Cards and Bonus points - these things are hugely more damaging than any toned down Google account.

But privacy concerns aside, fixing Optus emails and sticking with an RSP address doesn't address the main problem that you can't leave Optus without losing that address. If someone is really concerned about privacy etc. at GMail then I would easily recommend they set up their own email domain at a small cost each year. You are also the product at Optus (they sold you to leasing companies, premium SMS suppliers and excess usage charges.)

FWIW The TIO aren't there to improve Optus. Just to ensure that the contract has been upheld. You will need a specific complaint and they'll just forward that on to Optus. Optus are happy to provide secondary email accounts so presumably they'll get themselves into gear and activate it.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

... or get your own cPanel / domain web for $10-12 per month. Unlimited emails addresses and totally your control. Easy to manage. Worth it if you have a family and then some...  zuver.com.au

Or hostmate.com.au for  $3.95 p/m unlimited email addresses

Or G-Suite by google for much the same price.

Whatever happens to resolve this you're stuck with @OPTUSNET.com.au ; that's crazy - no offence          optus!