cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Contributor
Contributor

Use Fixed Line plugged into NBN Modem Phone Port via PC?

It's now a digital line right, not analog, similar to VOIP.  Is it possible to use the Home Phone on Windows 10 with some sort of adaptor & software?  Similar to the way my Mobile can receive & make calls on my PC?  I'm not a business, so not sure if VOIP would be overkill but I would really like to be able to combine & control phone communications on my PC?  Can an old Mobile Phone be used instead of a dumb handset?  If so, how?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Use Fixed Line plugged into NBN Modem Phone Port via PC?

Are you talking about your Optus VoIP line? If so then the phone line is digital up until it it received by the Optus router. It is then converted to analog and piped out to the Phone1 port.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

I have not applied for VOIP officially, this is just my Home Phone Plugged into the SageMCOM Gateway F@ST 5366 TN Phone 1 Port.   It looks like just an RJ11 connector.  But it must be digital?

Years ago you could dial from your desktop via software on your PC but that was an analog phone line used via a modem.   VOIP is for busines lines etc, not what I'm after.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

ok according to Optus : Voip, voice over internet protocal will work through modem only because that is configured in our systems. We don't have any tools to support it through computer however if you can find any third party tool then it might be possible for you.

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Gennagc wrote:

I have not applied for VOIP officially, this is just my Home Phone Plugged into the SageMCOM Gateway F@ST 5366 TN Phone 1 Port. 

Yes, and that is a VoIP service. All Optus phone services delivered over NBN are VoIP.

It looks like just an RJ11 connector.

Yes it is.

it must be digital?

As I said before, its digital when it is received by the modem and then gets converted to analog so that a normal analog phone can be plugged into Phone 1.

VOIP is for busines lines etc.

No, its not just for business. It may be used more by business, but that is purely a function of the management flexibility that VoIP gives a business over analog.

not what I'm after.

As far as you are concerned, you should only consider it to be an analog service because all you can do is plug an analog device into the Phone 1 port. Under the hood it is digital though.

Contributor
Contributor

Thank You! I'm new to VOIP, you helped me a lot! Another solution would be to temporarily forward from my Home Line to my Mobile, that way I can use it with Windows 10 Mobile Call Feature.
0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

No problem.

Just be aware that unless mobile calls are included free in your plan, or you purchased an addon that included free mobile calls, that you will be charged for every call you divert to mobile.

0 Kudos