cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Urgent help required NBN Install

25/08 NBN tech arrives. Wants to put nbn box in an inappropriate room remote from desktop

26/08 After lots of talking with optus a manager agrees and will send an optus tech on 27/08 to investigate

27/08 Received SMS confirming appointment.
Optus tech doesn't turn up. Call optus who say there was no appointment for 27/08. Told me optus tech will come 28/08 to investigate solution.

28/08 Had network issue. Used MyOptus app and at end of conversation was asked if anything else. I asked them to confirm today's appointment with optus tech only to be told. There was no appointment scheduled.
I talked to the case manager and he is adamant that the NBN box is to be installed in the wrong room then an optus tech will come out and see what can be done. He wouldn't put me on to anyone in Australia but said that the service team would call me today.

NBN tech comes tomorrow again. I will have the same issue and will get the same response. who can I talk to about it? What can I do?
Thanks
Alan
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Urgent help required NBN Install

"What can I do?"

You can agree to the box being placed where they want it or you can tell them to leave.

Optus has no control over the NBNCo (totally different company - all Optus can do is schedule an appointment). Sending an Optus Tech out is pointless in the extreme as they have no say in the matter (Doubtless Optus customer service just said it to get you off the phone)

NBNCo have rules about suitable rooms for an install (you can't choose somewhere that could be used as a bedroom for example).

You can always pay for internal cabling as needed in your home. Its pretty easy to get a CAT6 wire from this new NBN spot to your other room and a switch is $25 to connect multiple devices. And of course there's whole home wifi mesh options if you don't like wires.

But I do strongly suggest you stop trying to tell the NBN guy where you want things to go. You can request but if they say no then that's the end of the matter.
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply Petergdowload.
I dont have a problem with the NBN tech. He just told me I should talk to optus about the issue. The problem is the inconsistent advice I'm getting from Optus and the problem that there appears to be no recourse. Each person you talk to seems to have a different opinion and makes/cancels appointments at will without telling me.
As an example I have it in writing that the NBN connection should go into the box that the optus tech set up on the exterior wall when he set up my optus cable. It now appears that this is not the case.
I'm quite willing to pay for the old telstra cable to be extended to the computer room (part of our L shaped sitting room - no way could it be used as a bedroom) but I don't know how to go getting it done.
Keep safe
Alan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Getting the NBN connected is often a bit of a drama. Know that once connected its a one of process. Thereafter moving around RSPs etc. is usually just a phone call and 15 minutes downtime while they update the database. But for now all the things you mention are not uncommon (which is one of the reasons why its usually best not to throw more spanners in the works by trying to control the process - it just makes a messy situation messier)

Unfortunately Optus is not brilliant when it comes to working with the NBN. I think they're still mad that NBNCo has taken over their whole HFC network and are now just going to dismantle it. Whatever the reason, communication is not great, either with the NBNCo or the customer. As you've found its usually you that has to keep chasing things up.

As mentioned the NBN are totally separate companies and its best you think about it way. NBN Tech can't touch Optus gear and visa versa. You will have the Optus box and line in removed in due course as the old network is dismantled. So IMO best just to ask the NBN Tech (if he turns up) to install the NBN how he wants. They also have limits on how far they'll install wires into your house. Unless its a pretty easy situation then they'll put the box in the closest room.

Note you don't extend the Telstra cable usually. You just install CAT wiring throughout the house to distribute the signal where you want it. If you've got the time then the biggest issue is drawing the wire to the point needed. If you already have a drawstring in place then most NBN Techs will happily use it. If its under the house then that's usually all that's needed but you can seal the deal with a conduit piping (with drawstring in place).

https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-20mm-medium-duty-rigid-conduit_p4330846

But that might mean another delay. Good Luck.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors