Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
KaiS
New Contributor
New Contributor

Unstable NBN connection with ASUS AC86u as router

Hi, I've been experiencing a few awful days since I bought an ASUS AC86u as my router connected directly to Sagemcom F@ST3864V2 modem which was given by optus. The thing is I would almost encounter four to five internet disconnections a day with no sign. That could happen at any time. When it happens, the modem power itself off and restart, which would need 5 minutes to restore the internet. I tried some methods such as close upnp, firewall, wan probes etc. and I found the modem is not at the temperature requiring restart. It's almost a month and I still couldn't figure out what happened. And things were fine if I use another much cheaper router. I don't know if I could use the ASUS router as a modem or what settings I missed that possibly caused the disaster. Thanks a lot if anyone could help!

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Unstable NBN connection with ASUS AC86u as router

You seem to be over thinking things. Remove the new router and see what happens.  

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
KaiS
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi, I think I've talked about that in my post that after removeing the ASUS router the Optus modem would be fine but I couldn't accept that I have to dispose the router I paid much more than the other router which wouldn't result in dropouts of Optus modem... So you think it's the problem of my router or something just doesn't match between the router and the modem? 

Cheers

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Its hard to say what's going on without knowing what is plugged into what. 

It sounds like the Asus might be faulty (although I presume its the Optus modem that is dropping the internet.)

Do you have a friend you could try wire either device into at their place and try replicate the issues?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos