cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Charley25
Occasional Contributor

Unknown user on my NBN

Bought a new laptop and I am having problems acessing the internet with it as very slow so decided to check the My Network router and although not related to laptop problem saw that there is a user that is connected to my nework.

How is this possible as I have not given my password to anyone?

How can I get rid of the user?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Unknown user on my NBN

Are you looking in Windows 10 Networks screen?

Are you connecting via wired or wifi?

Do you have any other equipment (printer? mobile phone?) connected.

Can you perhaps take a screen shot of what you are looking at?

What is the info the screen is showing you that suggests its another person?

FWIW Its probably not an issue.

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

Looking at my router settings.

Wired.

Changed my password settings and has now disappeared.

A good suggestion is to change your password regularly which in this case left it as per the one supplied by Optus. I do change fairly regulary but didn't think to change this one.Smiley Happy

An interesting aside is when I tried to connect my new lapto to NBN, it was so slow 37KPS, I was shocked as am getting 48MBS on my desktop. Rang Dell and then also decided to ring Optus and it seems my old laptop and the new one were sharing the same IP address.  Dell couldn't access my laptop remotely before then delted some software then it worked.  A strange one.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Duplicate IP addresses are usually because of two reasons:

1) You have more than one device handing out IP numbers via DHCP

2) You have a device with a hard coded IP in network settings (e.g. 192.168.0.5) and the modem DHCP range overlaps with this address (e.g 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.255)

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the info.

Why does this happen because if I hadn't rung, how would I have known it was interferring?

Both the Dell and Optus tech were surprised it was the cause.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You'd know there was an issue because the two machines with the same IP address would keep getting confused and acting eratically. I would suggest you check the IP adress settings (DHCP and IP) on both machines (PC and Modem) as they may still overlap - its just with your tinkering they have (randomly) been assigned a different IP at them moment and may in the future be assigned the same again.

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

Thank you again for reply but I don't know how to check.

I didn't change anything it was the Optus tech, that toldd me what had happpend.

Maybe I will ask the tech who is coming to connect my NBN (moving house next week) to check it out.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You might need a PC savy mate to visit Smiley Happy

But on any given device you can just go into its menu and network settings and see the IP address (It will either be a specific number, like 192.168.0.20 or it will say AUTO or DHCP.) Generally everything should be on auto. If it is a hard coded address then its possible its conflicting with one that the modem is handing out automatically to other devices - perhaps set the PC to AUTO.

Good luck with the NBN guy. They aren't Optus and tend to focus solely on getting the signal to the wall. After that they'll generally tell you to call your RSP for help. But you might get a friendly one. 

Peter Gillespie

Top Contributors