Searching...
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Underground cable/conduit

WessyBoy

Hi all, I'm looking to transfer from Telstra to Optus (NBN) and currently have Telstra cable via a conduit down the drive from a pit in the street to a box in the garage.  My wife does not want a cable from a pole to the house,  Will Optus NBN be able to use existing conduit intrastructure channel a new cable undergoround?  

Re: Underground cable/conduit

petergdownload

Assuming NBN in your area is going to use HFC (What does the address checker say?) then yes NBNCo will use the existing Telstra Conduit to connect to your house.

Optus however may hook you up at the moment using an above ground pole. However as the Optus HFC network is due to be scrapped in two years once the NBN is up and running at your house you can request the overhead connection be removed.

Note that if you are on Optus cable when the NBN arrives you will be given three months to decide to switch to the NBN. If you are with Telstra HFC you will be given 18 months to decide (if that's an issue - If you're intending just to get Optus to handle your NBN signup then its not.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

WessyBoy

Thanks Peter

NBN is using HFC in my area. We surrently have Telstra cable broadband and looking to move to Optus for NBN.

When we were looking to get Optus non-NBN 12months ago they were going to run a cable from a pole.  Much happier to hear that Optus would use existing conduit/infrastucture for NBN.  Is there an Optus/NBN number I can call to confirm?

Looks like NBN are going underground in my areasa as there are a lot of repared drive ways with orange fences.

On the other hand have if we are not happy at installation we can cancel with nothing to pay!

regards

Wessy

petergdownload

Ah,

I missed the bit where you are transfering from Telstra straight to the NBN. NBNCo only use the Telstra Cable (which they now own). So if you choose Telstra, Optus or Dodo (don't choose dodo) for your NBN service they will all use the existing Telstra cable underground conduit to your home.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

WessyBoy

Thanks Peter, that's brilliant news.

So at installation the only work required would be in the pit in the street rather than on my premises and I just change my router?

petergdownload

If you already have a Telstra cable to your house then yes. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

WessyBoy

Like ☺

WessyBoy

Many thanks Peter

A couple more questions....

My wife keeps reading about NBN problems on facebook.  We are in Frenchs Forest, Sydney 2086.  Is this really a risk in this area and with Optus HFC (not Dodo!)?

Wer are a family of three and not particularly heavy users, is it worth splashing out forf Service Pack 4 (I do plan to watch Optus Sport)

Solution

petergdownload

Your area is HFC Live. I believe the NBNCo are not taking any new connection orders in HFC areas after the 11th (this Monday). But I believe this only applies to households without an existing Telstra cable already wired (which you have). 

There's a lot to read about the NBN around, but be aware its focused on the 5% where things are going wrong most of the time. You won't know exactly how good your setup is until you jump. But the odds are well in your favour. Another good thing is the HFC rollout pause is so NBNCo can go back to all existing HFC areas (i.e. your suburb) and focus on fixing up any remaining issues.

By the sound of things you'll do ok on a 25Mbps plan. Unfortunately Optus don't offer a 50Mbps tier (which is generally thought to be the idea speed for an average home with average internet use). Its possible that will change soon as NBNCo are due to announce a special 50Mbps service that providers might like. 

Regardless though you can change speed tiers at any time at Optus with no penalty. So start off with the $80 25Mbps tier 2 and see how it goes. If you need more then ask them to bump it to Tier4 (bump it down later if you want).

Regards

Peter Gillespie

WessyBoy

Thanks again Peter you're a star

I assume I can order on line or do I need to go to a Optus Shop?

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
104 Kudos
37 Kudos
30 Kudos
12 Kudos
12 Kudos