Searching...
Highlighted

Underground NBN with electricity (knockdown rebuild)

mickyAm

Hi All

We are doing a knockdown/rebuild in the inner suburs of Melbourne, 3034.

We are moving out electricity underground (pole to pit) through Gemena. Previously we had overhead power and NBN connection however we wanted NBN underground to the put as well. Can we use the same conduit work Gemena will provide for electricity to run NBN pole to pit? what is the standard practice with this?

Cheers

Mick

Re: Underground NBN with electricity (knockdown rebuild)

petergdownload

I'd assume the NBN cable and electricity cable would have to be run through different conduits? The NBN guys aren't going to want to deal with electrical cables if a repair etc. is ever needed. In our suburb (Brunswick) the planning requiements are that ALL utilities must come in underground for new builds. So I'd assume you will have a access pit at the front in your plans and you add seperate conduits for electricity and NBN etc.

NBNCo will attach through from the pole to the pit (but I believe you'll have to foot the cost of digging a trench through the footpath to your pit and covering it back up. Probably best to ask the council?

Peter Gillespie

mickyAm

Hi Peter

Thanks for the reply, so can you lay the NBN conduit in the same trench as the power conduit? Same trench, different conduits to the same pit, do the power and NBN pits need to be separate as well?

no point paying to dig trenches twice!

petergdownload

Sorry but I'm not qualified to advise on that. FWIW I don't see any reason why not. Ultimately though NBN connections are decided by NBNCo I believe. So its possible you could place the conduit and NBNCo would just string an aerial cable in anyway. 

I would suggest a call to the council is your best bet. Must be something that has come up a few times before.

Peter Gillespie

mickyAm

ok thanks Peter

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
103 Kudos
37 Kudos
31 Kudos
12 Kudos
12 Kudos