cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Unable to connect to Internet after moving to Optus NBN

I've been with Telstra for the past three years for my NBN and mobile. After the recent price increase in their mobile plans, I decided to switch across to Optus.

The mobile SIM is working okay (although the internet speeds are shockingly slow and unreliable...) however the NBN internet isn't working.

The story so far:

I received my NBN modem on Thursday. Thursday evening I disconnected my Telstra modem and plugged in the Optus (via the DSL port as it's a FTTN connection). It connected to the Internet within a couple of minutes.

Thinking it was all was fine, I called Telstra and asked them to cancel my Internet plan on their side (I waited until this point since I didn't want to have any downtime). They informed me the process will take 30 minutes.

Shortly thereafter, the Internet dropped out. Tried restarting the modem a number of times, no luck. Next morning called support, and they weren't able to figure it out. They ended up escalating to NBN and eventually said everything is fine on the Optus side and it must be an NBN issue and they've arranged to have an NBN technician come past and take a look (in the meantime, it's using the 4G backup, which is very slow and makes working a pain).

Things I've tried (multiple times):

- Resetting the modem

- Factory reset

- Plugging in the Telstra modem

- Leaving the modem unplugged overnight and then plugging it back in

Given the above circumstances, I don't see how it can be a physical issue.

Could it be any of the following:

- the internet was never working through Optus at all, when I plugged in the Optus modem is just used my Telstra account, which explains why it stopped working once I canceled Telstra

- Optus did everything right and everything was set up properly with the NBN, however, when I asked Telstra to disconnect my account, they sent through some request to the NBN that ended up with my address being deactivated in the NBN system

- The modem initially connected via Telstra, and got in some weird state where it won't authenticate via Optus anymore due to some bug in the modem. Find this one the most unlikely, especially since I've performed a factory reset.

Just really wary of being in a situation where NBN and Optus are blaming each other for the issue and I'm being sent through a bunch of modems and NBN technicians to try and resolve the issue...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Unable to connect to Internet after moving to Optus NBN

Hi @nraf, it's not good to hear you've been having problems with your Optus services.

May I suggest having a look at this troubleshooting guide → https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/support/answer?id=1390 for steps that may help with your connection issue?  

Just FYI, at the final stages of the NBN service activation on our system, the Optus supplied modem needs to be plugged in and should initiate the last steps of the order to activate your Internet connection.  Sometimes, this process can become stuck and will need technical assistance to manually complete the order.

Please note that we’re unable to look into account details on Yes Crowd.  I'd recommend messaging us via the My Optus app: https://app.optus.com.au/msg-us?tags=OCAYCMSG so that they can check your account for any issues as well as reach out to our technical teams to investigate further.  Our Messaging team is available 24/7.

If for some reason you’re unable to use the My Optus app, please send a private message to the official Optus Facebook or Twitter page for further assistance.  They are also available 24/7.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@nraf wrote:

- the internet was never working through Optus at all, when I plugged in the Optus modem is just used my Telstra account, which explains why it stopped working once I canceled Telstra

This is the most likely. If Optus has activated your service then your should have received an activation SMS/email from them.

- Optus did everything right and everything was set up properly with the NBN, however, when I asked Telstra to disconnect my account, they sent through some request to the NBN that ended up with my address being deactivated in the NBN system

Unlikely as Telstra would have had no authority to trigger a cancellation of an Optus service. If you transferring to Telstra from Optus though, then that transfer would have been allowed to cancel the Optus service.

- The modem initially connected via Telstra, and got in some weird state where it won't authenticate via Optus anymore due to some bug in the modem. Find this one the most unlikely, especially since I've performed a factory reset.

As long as the factory reset was done after you lost your Telstra internet connection then your modem should recover fine.

With FTTN the line can get locked if an incompatible modem is connected the the DSL port. This should not have happened in your case as the Optus modem is clearly compatible, but because it was connected to the line when the line wasn't yet fully Optus activated I wonder if that may have triggered a line lock.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks, I have received an SMS saying my NBN service is active however I still get SMS's saying that my modem hasn't been connected yet (which further points toward I never actually connected through Telstra).

My takeaway is that despite what the system is saying, there's potentially a problem somewhere, either during activation or the line being locked.

So far, in speaking to support, I keep getting told my activation looks good and it should be working, and it's been escalated to NBN. Is there any way I can escalate the issue to someone at Optus who can figure out in the line is locked or something else hasn't gone to plan or would I need to wait for the NBN technician to arrive?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I suggest contacting Optus via private messaging on Facebook or Twitter as the staff there seems to be better at dealing with non-standard problems.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @nraf, thanks for your efforts in speaking to our Technical team.  Without being able to look at your account and investigate further with your account details, it's hard to work out what the problem could be.  

I'd recommend reaching to us via the methods I mentioned above where we'll be able to grab your details securely and take a closer look.  We'll also be able to escalate this with the relevant teams to have them reach out to you for further investigation and troubleshooting.