Searching...

Transition from Optus Cable to NBN - $30 more for exact same service

radio1one

Hi,

Hoping someone from Optus can help me look into resolving this - astounded at Optus telephone support who on 2 occasions have suggested to look elsewhere.

Currently have a $90 Cable Broadband and Fetch TV account with complementary speed boost to 100mbit. Our area has been told to transition over to the NBN, which utilises the same HFC cable currently coming into the house. Have spoken via Online Chat and Telephone support, and have been told to get the exact same service I currently get for $90, I would need to pay $120 p/month. When I argue the fact that it's the same service, simply a name change, I get told things such as 'it's a new technology', or 'if you sign up for a new 24 month contract, maybe the rentention team might give you $5 off' (maybe!), or 'there's nothing that can be done. Either downgrade or pay more.'

The worst part? 2 times now I have been told by support staff to look elsewhere. I hope these calls are being monitored by management and are reeling in horror at their staff telling customers to go elsewhere. Especially someone who has been a loyal customer of Optus for over 10 years.

All I want is simple - to move to the NBN, to recieve the exact same service I'm paying for now, with the same speed and features. I don't want to downgrade, and there's no upgrade in terms of technology. Is any Optus staff on these forums able to assist?

Re: Transition from Optus Cable to NBN - $30 more for exact same service

Paddylee

Except once moved to NBN optus has to pay NBN for your service, they no longer own the physical cable.

NBN charges more therefore Optus has to pass these charges to you.

NBN prices are set by NBN/Fed Gov and are out of the control of Optus.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

radio1one

Sure, understand that Optus is now a retailer rather than a wholesaler, however other providers are offering the same package at same or cheaper. I don't want to move providers. I don't necessarily want to pay less. I'd like the same package I'm paying for now, and I'm sure Optus could make this happen, rather than losing my business.

Paddylee

If you find it cheaper then sure - you can move.

At the end of the day, margins on NBN services are razor thin and there is very little wiggle room.

What does your current Optus Plan provide e.g. fetch tv, phone, calls etc?

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Davelew

Hi

Not Optus staff.

Youhave been one of the lucky customers receiving high data speeds on cable.

Do you need 100mbps as most household can manage easily on Optus 40mbps?

I have recently migrated from ADSL to HFC and been impressed with constant speed without dropouts and perfectly adequate for a a  2 person household with the occasional grandchild streaming most of our entertainment needs. I am in the $90 plan which includes fetch with a discount of$10 because I have an optus mobile plan.

If you are interested I have a blog regarding my migration on this forum.

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Blog/My-NBN-experience-with-Optus-Placing-the-Order-Connection-Day/...

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

radio1one

Hi all, appreciate all your comments - but they're starting to veer off course.

- I wish to remain an Optus customer

- I have a 100mbit Optus Cable connection with Fetch TV / Entertainment pack for $90

- I have multiple mobile services with Optus

- I need to transition to the NBN, as everyone is required to do so

- I simply want to transfer the account from 'Optus Cable' to 'NBN' - the service and everything I'm currently recieving stays the same

- Why should I pay an extra $30 for what is essentially a name change?

A simple metaphor is this - I've been getting a loaf of bread for $90. Now, if I want to keep getting that loaf of bread, I have to pay $120, or, recieve half a loaf of bread for the same amount. It might seem small, but it's $360 additional over 12 months!

As well, Optus trained chat and call support staff have told me to look at other providers. When your staff are actively encouraging customers to leave, that's a problem. Not only would I take my cable/NBN service equaling $1080 per year, but I would seriously look at taking my mobile services away which are nearly $4000 per year, and recommending to all clients and friends/family to stay away from Optus. All over $360 dollars.

C'mon Optus, do better.

Highlighted

Paddylee

Accept in this case another company now owns the bakery and put up the prices. 

Its not just a name change, it went from a 100% optus delivered service to one where Optus now has to pay someone else to deliver the service to you.

They wont use the existing Optus connection but will use the Telstra  HFC one of there is one.

NBN charges for "speed packs/tiers" ontop of its base product, so someone has to pay. 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
61 Kudos
28 Kudos
24 Kudos
20 Kudos
17 Kudos