Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor GC01
New Contributor

Terrible Terrible Terrible NBN installation tech job

The optus technician arrived today to connect our househould to the NBN. He was later than scheduled so my wife was in a rush to pick up our kids from school. The technician did not engage any discussion at all about any options on where the box and modem would be placed. There was no suggestion that we have any options. Without question or consent he installed it in a very obscure place in a baby's playroom. My wife, who is not very technological, did not understand that the connection would need to be within reach of a phone port (there are none in that room) for our landline to work and did not realise that our home PC which is on a different floor (where our old ADSL modem is) doesn't have wifi and can't be connected. Not only that but the obscure room generates poor wifi signal to the rest of the house.

Now I understand that the connection location may have some limitations but we were given absolutley NO explanation, discussion or options about the location. My wife signed off to say that it had been installed as the tech left. We are extremely angry that the technican failed to even discuss where the installation should be.

Typical of Optus we have spent countless hours on the phone today trying to get through to a human being to explain the situation and to get someone else out but their convoluted automated phone system leads to nothing but dead ends. We are absolutley tearing our hair out with frustration.

Is there any way of getting through to optus to request sending a technician back. I understand that some people may change their mind about location and that is just bad luck but that is not at all what occurred here. If we can't get through to them, should we just pay for a re-installation with a private company, keep the receipt and withold the amount from our bill? At least then we might actually get someone who woould talk to us!!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Terrible Terrible Terrible NBN installation tech job

So, this is a "cable" HFC type NBN?  It does sound like you will have to get someone else in to extend the phone cables upstairs. (*Oh, I see you fixed this issue*) The installer is an NBN cowboy.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-16/nbn-unions-blame-contractor-shortcuts-on-low-pay/8626012

The wifi on the optus device is very poor, so will need to be extended in any case. You plug a couple of ethernat cables into the box and drag them upstairs as well. Put one cable into another good wifi router or wifi extender.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Re: Terrible Terrible Terrible NBN installation tech job

Your complaint will need to go via NBN Co as opposed to Optus. We can raise this on your behalf, but the physical installation of the NBN network is handled by NBN Co directly, so Optus technicians wouldn't be able to change your set up.

Jump into Live Chat with Technical Support and explain you need to raise a complaint with NBN Co due to the installation of your home network, there is a process for this that they will be able to follow. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos