Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
musicbiz
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Tenda Mesh Wifi on NBN

I actually do have that exact problem. The only way I found how to fix it was to put the NBN router into the Optus router and then connect it to the Tenda via a LAN port. It does work. I just have no idea why 🙂

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

1) swap the units (is that possible?)
2) Try different ports in each modem
3) bring the two units together and use a different cat cable and different points (as a test)

Ethernet has an upload and download wire and it seems either a port or the cable is damaged.
byronator
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@petergdownloadThanks for your help, g

byronator
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@petergdownload it turns out changing ports on the Sagemcom was a temporary aberration, it turns out that setting the Tenda internet connection type to "Bridge" (the default is "DHCP") has fixed it.

I tested again this morning and found that the upload speed on the Tenda had gone back to 0. I tried changing the port used on the Sagemcom several times and one time got something other than 0 but when I tried again it was back to 0. I have 2 LAN connections in the room that has the base Tenda node and a PC as well. What I found was that any combination of cables and ports always worked correctly on the PC but the same combo would give 0 upload on the Tenda. I even tried resetting the Tenda and swapping the 2 units around and still got 0 upload so then I thought it is probably not the Sagemcom, the LAN wires or the LAN wall plugs.

As a last resort I changed the Tenda internet setting to "Bridge" and it worked perfectly and I was getting 18-20Mps upload which was way better than anything I had got temporarily. I can only guess that the Tenda set to "DHCP" somehow interferes with the Sagemcom, someone who knows more about networking may have an explanation. I had a D-Link AC1200 extender previously and I got rid of that because it was stopping the Sagemcom from working correctly as well, I tried every setting on that as well and nothing helped.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Thanks for letting us know your solution (you should mark it)

My only thought is that you have a DHCP server on both devices and that each is handing out duplicate IP addresses. Disabling DHCP server on one might also work. But glad you got it working.

0 Kudos