cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor musicbiz
Occasional Contributor

Tenda Mesh Wifi on NBN

Hello brains trust. 

Please help! We had Optus cable at our place and recently switched over to NBN. On cable we were happily using our Tenda Nova mesh wifi system. When we went to NBN, when plugging in the mesh wifi our upload speeds are fine but our download speeds are less than 1 mbps (sometimes nothing at all). Some things to note:

- When I plug in the Optus provided modem the upload speeds are fine (20mbps or more) so it’s not the connection

- I have changed the Tenda settings so it is using the same DNS settings as the Optus modem. I have tried basically every possible setting. Tenda is very basic so there aren’t many things to screw up

- I have restored the Tenda system to factory settings and updated the firmware

- I have spoken to Optus and they can’t work out what could be going wrong but obviously aren’t going to troubleshoot the Tenda modem if the Optus one works

- As mentioned, there was no issue with the Tenda system on cable.

The only possible thing I can think of is that the Renda system has a fault that miraculously happened at the same time we switched over the internet. As unlikely as that is, is there anything else I could be missing? 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tenda Mesh Wifi on NBN

First up what NBN technology are you on? FTTN? HFC?

Second, What NBN speed plan are you on? Standard 50Mbps Down / 20Mbps Up?

Third it may be a typo but you only mention upload speeds. What are the speed test results (up and sown for the two scenarios)

Fourth I assume you speed tests are all being done on a wired connection (not over wifi)?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Sorry, 

Plan is 50/20 delivered on HFC (Old Telstra so it’s a different cable to when i was on optus cable).

Download speeds are 45-47 on both modems. Optus supplied upload is around 20, Tenda is 0.5.

Tests are similar both wired and wireless.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks. That is strange although I have seen funny upload results posted often. Usualy its the Optus modem that is having an issue though (with people pluggin their laptop straight into the NBN modem gett100% speeds but via the Optus modem its slower)   

So that said, can you try plug your laptop straight into the NBN modem (no other modem on the line) and test the speeds? 

Two thoughts:

1) Set the DNS to 8.8.8.8 (Google) - although DNS shouldn't affect a speed test

2) There's something not quite right in the NBN upload stream. It could be the Optus modem is recovering from an error in the line better than the Tenda. 

You might need to ask Optus to investigate the line speed etc.and even get NBNCo to have a look.

Only problem is that they don't necessarily support non Optus modems and you could get charged $250 if the issue is your equipment.

Might pay to check the Tenda modem at someone elses house. See if it can do 20 upload there?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor AngryAnon
Occasional Contributor

I think that it's because that while your plan may be capped at a certain speed, you might be sharing your potential throughput with other residences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_fiber-coaxial

Try rerunning the tests during off-peak hours.

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Havent play much with the Tenda Mesh system, however, with most Mesh there is a Host and nodes connected to each other. My suggestion is to turn off all nodes and do a factory reset on the host node. Connect the host to the NBN box and do the speed test. If you can get the full speed then slowly adding back one node at a time. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Have tried that but unfortunately no dice Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

No,

Unfortunately that's not it. It's the same issue at any time of the day. Even with congestion the speed shouldn't be consistently 1/40th of the advertised speed. And if it was that I'd have the same issue via the Optus modem. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter,

Yes I think you could be right re the line issue that perhaps the Optus modem has a better time of dealing with. I have now put the Optus modem in the middle and am running the Tenda system off the LAN port which probably isn't the most elegant solution, but it seems to work. When I spoke to the Optus person they said a similar thing.... if on their end it works and on my end with the Optus modem it works, if someone comes out we're likely to be hit with the fee. 

Top Contributors