Searching...
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Telephone sockets not working

gandk169

I just activated the new NBN service yesterday and now only the telephone connected to the modem will work.  I have 5 telephone wall sockets in a large home and need then activated.  When I rang Optus Technical Support I was told to buy a new phone with mulitple handsets or call in an elcitrician; it this true?  When I signed up for the Optus NBN the sales man assured me that all the telephone wall sockets in my home would work.  I'm a pensioner and need my telephones but the extra cost is a burden.  Does anyone have any idea on how to activate my wall sockets?  If you answer my questions please explain in great detail as I'm new to computers and am finding this all so confusing.  Thank you

Re: Telephone sockets not working

[ Edited ]
Arctos

A new phone with multiple handsets will be cheaper than a electrician.

You can buy a Panasonic cordless phone with three handsets for $74,00 at Officeworks.  

Solution

gandk169

Thank you for your imput.  Bought a telephone with 3 hand sets today so back in touch.

Cheers!!

commsrbrad

Hi, sorry I did not see this earlier, and its a bit late now.

But all you needed to do was plug the telephone line from the modem into one of your existing wall points, you would have lost one telephone point but the rest would have worked.

gandk169

Better late than never...thank you so much.  Now just let me get this right.

I checked and the current wall socket is used by the telephone line going into the new NBN modem.  If I ask an electricain to install another telephone wall socket in the same area I could then plug the black line I now have in my telephone back into the new wall socket.  That would mean the telephone by the modem would not work but all my other wall sockets would start working again.  Right?  

It's important that I have a landline as I'm in a 'black spot' and my mobile is useless here.  Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Arctos

As I said previously, electricians / cable installers are expensive.

You said you purchased a new phone system with three cordless phones, that is all you need to do.

GlynR

Unfortunately the solution to plug a cable between the phone socket on the modem and a wall socket is unlikely to work.

The reason for that is that the NBN signal is coming in on what used to be your home phone line and, unless it has been required, the NBN connection is going to ALL of your other sockets as well. In the meantime, what USED to be your phone connecton no l;onger works (as you have found out) as you home phone is now provided by a digital connection via the Optus modem.

To make your existing wall sockets work with standard telephones ytuo would need to disconnect them all (except the one with the modem plugged in) from the phone cable coming in from outside but leave them all connected to eachother and THEN if you added another socket next to your modem which was also connected to those other sockets but NOT to the NBN socket then the suggestion would work.

To get that done you need to find someone (anyone) who is capable of doing phone wiring - they don't have to be an electrician but they should have a phone cabling license - even some of the JIMS TV guys can robably do it for you.

It is truly unfortunate that when you sing up for the NBN Optus don't TELL you that your other phone sockets won't work. They do tell you in the briochure that comes with the modem that you have to unplug your phone from the wall socket and plug it into the modem but they conveniently FORGET to tell you that all of the other phone socket in your house won't work unless you reqire them.

I'm nort sure how other ISPs approach this as it's the same for anyone on Malcolm Turbull's Fibre to the Node NBN while Stephen Conroy's REAL Fibre to the Premises NBN doesn't have this problem as the internet doesn't come in via the phone line and the phone line is just disconnected from the street connection so all of the socket in your house are not affected by the NBN connection. You DO have to connect a phone cable between the modem's phone socket and one of your wall sockets and then all of the rest of your wall sockets just work.

However, the simplest and cheapest solution to this problem really is to go and buy a set of corless phones and plug the cordless phone base station into the modem. Then you don't need any of the rest of the phone sockets at all. Office woirks have a Uniden 1735 corless phone system which comes with two ($69.00), three ($89.00) or four ($109) handsets and this would be cheaper than getting your wiring changed, quicker than getting it changed and the end result would be more useful than what you have now - plus you get an anwering machine function as part of the system.

gandk169

Thank you so much for your reply.  I have now bought the phone with extra handset.  I did contact an electricain and he said about the same as you have just said...just too expensive.  It is annoying that when we loose our electricy we also loose our phones.  We don't have home mobile phone conncetion (due to living in a 'black spot') so have to rely on landlines.  The other thing that is annoying is that I can't turn off the modem without loosing my phone connection...not good!!  

GlynR

Yes, if you turn off your modem or it fails or you have a power failure then your home phone no longer works while it did before your NBN changeover. That is because you now have a VOIP phone connection (Voice Over Internet Protocol) which works via your internet connection.

It doesn't matter whether you have a REAL NBN Fibre to the premises or a crippled fibre to the node NBN connection - the result is the same.

I too live in a black spot as far as mobile coverage is concerned. I used to have an Optus Home Zone which worked most of the time. It is a femtocell which basically says that I had my own private cell tower at home for my exclusive use (and access for up to 5 other mobile phone numbers that I nominate).

Optus is shutting this down and replacing it with an app on your phone WIFI TALK which connects your phone to your NBN connection via wifi when you are in wireless range of your home modem. I tried this for a while but it never actually worked effectively and so I had to uninstall it. However, I found out (after MANY MANY phone calls to Optus) that my 4G coverage was terrible but if I turned off the 4G ifor my phone so that it went back to 3G then it turned out I have a strong 3G signal which works fine.

The difference between 3G and 4G as far as making phone calls is concerned is probably nothing 3G is slower to browse the internet though and this is the only disadvantage of turning off 4G. Since I don't usually browse the internet much on my phone that isn't a problem for me but I can always turn it back on again when I'm in a good 4G area and off again when I get home so that I have fast internet speeds when I'm away from home - but I don't bother.

When I had 4G turned on the phone would disconnect frequently and often the person at the pother end couldn't hear me or vice versa. The phone used to sometimes go silent for about 30 seconds and then come good again. Now that it's on 3G it's pretty reliable - not TOTALLY reliable - but workable.

As I said it took me MANY, MANY phone calls to Optus support before my call was finally escalated to someone who was actually knowledgable. This guy was very helpful and explained WHY I was having problems for each of the problems I presented to him and then explained HOW I could get around those problems. Prior to him I had been given the runaround and told all sorts of rubbish.

Now I only have one problem. I want to replace the terrible Sagemcom router that Optus provide to one that works properly. I have switched to a Fritzbox and everything works MUCH better except that I have no home phone when using that modem. Optus support have told me that there is no solution to this - but that is also a lie. I have found lots of people on the whirpool forum web site who have done it and I expect that I will be able to get it going when I have a bit of time to play.

Why they lie about this is beyond me - any other ISP I've been with (eg Internode, iiNet, Chariot) are all quite helpful and tell you the truth (in my experience anyway).

Solution

Vicky

Hi gandk169,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Can I confirm how long this has been going on? Has the handset resolved your connection issue?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
104 Kudos
37 Kudos
30 Kudos
12 Kudos
12 Kudos