Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Telephone connected to NBN disconnects at 3 hours

Hi,

My wife works from home as a consultant for an insurance company, her shifts go for 5 hours. Since we have had the NBN and the phone is plugged into the modem, at 3 hours and if not at 3 at 4 hours the telephone disconnects. It doesn't matter what time of day she starts the phone disconnects.

On the modem the telephone light goes out the call disconnects and the phone light comes back on. 

I want to know has anyone else had this?

or as part of the Fair Go policy OPTUS are disconnecting the call? 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Telephone connected to NBN disconnects at 3 hours

so you're saying that for her whole shift she makes an on going phone call? I've never heard of anyone being having their calls terminated for going to long but would be interested to know if there is a rule somewhere

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Could be numerous things under fair use policy:

3. Unreasonable use
We consider your use of the service unreasonable if you use it in a manner which is other than it was intended for.
Here are some examples of uses which we consider 'unreasonable'. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list:
– if you are a residential customer using the service in a way which could not be reasonably regarded as ordinary personal use (eg a residential product cannot be used for commercial purposes);

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Intriguing. As @SamSam asks are you referring to a single 3 hour call or just the call she happens to be on being cut off every 3-4 hours? Is this call being made overseas? To the US?

Doing some googling it does seem some carriers do have hard call limits of 3 or 4 hours (esp. the US). It may be that Optus does the same. I assume its to stop a situation where a call is made but then never hung up. 

Peter Gillespie

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi SamSam,

She starts her shift and recieves a call from the hub, she lifts the handset and places it on the table, she then uses a headset. Being an insurance company she is answering calls in cue. So it is one call that should go for 5 hours.

But since we have had the NBN, it disconnects exactly at 3 or 4 hours, and it doesn't matter what time her shift starts. That is why I am thinking it is a setting somewhere that basically says "This person has been on the call too long" and disconnects it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @Paddylee 

What you just just posted is what I want Optus to tell me, because another lady that does the same job as my wife had the same problem was told by Optus it was because of the fair go policy and they fixed it. 

Thank you for your reply.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

SamSam
That's it exactly, she answers one call from the insurance hub, then as a consultant answering insurance inquiries come through the hub, she isn't answering the calls on the telephone if that makes sense.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@petergdownload  thank you for the info as well, this is what I am trying to find out from optus as I feel this is the issue. I can't fault the NBN service and Fetch etc etc, just that the telephone disconnects and what you and others here have found makes sense. People may think well why can't she just reconnect, which she does, but twice she has been doing a quote for a client so lost a potential sale and every time she"logs out" during her shift, it goes against her KPI's

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

If you find out the answer is yes does then what are you going to do? Any KPI targeting remote connections would have to have a factor for disconnections. Probably best that your wife just mentions it to her employer and set an alarm for every two hours to replace the call.

IMO you'd be very lucky to find an answer from the Optus Helpdesk - They are essentially reading scripts off the screen. You might want to try Facebook Optus as they have some local support staff who could possibly give a definitive answer.

Note that the issue may stem from NBN itself and have nothing to do with Optus.

Peter Gillespie
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter,

I had a lengthy conversation yesterday with Optus person, they are saying it is not an optus problem, that I need to change the phone settings, well there are no phone settings and the options through the modem that the phone is plugged into is minimal. 

So I asked them to look at my call log, I was told they did not have access to that. Are they serious the telco that is looking after my telecommunications hasn't got a register of my calls!!!

They call me and tell me they have monitored the line and there are no drop out, and everytime they have done this my wife hasn't been working so the phone isn't being used. I am just taking this to the ombudsman, it is not my responsibility to find the solution to a problem for a service they are providing which isn't doing what we are paying for.

0 Kudos