cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: TV shows no internet connection but other devices ok.

You can check if there is a DHCP by changing DHCP from auto to static with the following setting:

IP Address: 192.168.0.222
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Primary DNS: 192.168.0.1

If that does not work, you DHCP may be fine but DNS may be a problem, so change the primary DNS to 1.1.1.1 and see if that fixes the problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi,

Good Info. So you are connected by cable (wired) at the moment. The settings you listed all look fine but you can try change them as @YetAnotherAcc  suggests on the TV settings. Making them STATIC (Fixed) means the TV is set to always use the same numbers to connect to the modem. It might resolve the issue.

Note instead of 1.1.1.1 you could also use 8.8.8.8 in Primary DNS.

Do you have anything else plugged into the Optus modem via wire? (Not counting the NBN modem)

Understand you might not want to experiment while its working but if it goes off again then perhaps try the static settings on the TV as suggested and then try turning the TV off and on a few times (at the wall?) to see if it now retains its connection.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Note that I edited my post to change the IP from Address: 192.168.0.3 to 192.168.0.222 . That's to eliminate (in practical terms, although not 100% guaranteed) an IP address clash that might occur.

With a low IP subnet (x.x.x.3) the DHCP server might allocate it to another device if the TV is off when its IP lease expires. 

With a high IP subnet (x.x.x.222) the DHCP server is very unlikely to allocate a number that high to another device, no matter how long the TV is turned off , unless you have a truckload of devices trying to connect to the router, so a IP clash is very unlikely to occur.

This also should eliminate the need to mess around with settings on the router itself such as allocating the static IP address there or to changing the DHCP subnet range to exclude the static IP address you assigned on the TV.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Peter - Thank you again. Before I try your suggestion re changing IP settings something new happened. TV lost connection while I was watching it. When I checked network connection I got this message:
Your router might be incorrectly setup to connect to your ISP (such as an incorrect PPPoE setting). Refer to your router's instruction manual or website ... If you are uncertain ... consult your provider.
Besides not knowing what PPPoE means, is there anyone I can contact to go thru all this for me - as in I don't feel comfortable messing around with all these settings. The TV was originally set-up by the Optus technician on install day - can Optus either send someone out or have someone call me to talk me thru these network setting changes?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It may be best to have someone to talk it through live with. You can call 13 13 44 Mon - Fri: 8am - 7pm (AEST) for troubleshooting help.

It may take a while to get through and the person you get may be a tech wiz or someone from the sales department. They'll step you through similar steps as mentioned here but may also say that they don't support the TV.

I think you'd have paid $100 or so for the Optus guy to come out and setup equipment (and one part of that job is to ensure all your TVs etc. are hooked up properly to the new modem. Its possible they didn't set it up quite right and you should ask for someone to come out again. Optus may try to charge you another $100 though (I don't know) but you are in the right in expecting the job to be completeld properly first time.

Good Luck.

Feel free to ask any followup questions as there's several people on this thread happy to help (its just the terminology can get pretty confusing I know)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

You can't do any harm by making these IP changes and they can all be undone by simply changing DHCP back to auto.

That error message is a just generic way of saying it can't get an internet connection. Your TV does not need to know anything about PPPoE (internet connection/authentication method), that's the modem/routers job . The fact that you lost connection while watching TV, and I assume you had no problem with other devices, I think gives us a couple of clues.

It could indicate dodgy DHCP on the optus router because you were actively using the TV at the time (i.e. TV was not turned off), the optus router should have just re-issued the exact same IP address to you TV because it was an active connection. 

It could also point to a dodgy ethernet cable between the optus router and the TV, especially given that your TV is the only one with the problem. If it was a DHCP problem I would expect all your devices to be having internet problems at some point. They could be having the problem, but those devices might be better at dealing with it then the TV so its hard to tell. Given that you can't easily access the back of the TV to swap out the cable, you can just switch to wifi instead of wired for the TV using the password on the magnetic card that came with the optus router.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Ok, I tried wifi and was ok, no loss of connection for 2 days, until this morning when turning TV on. I re-entered wifi network name and password as per magnetic card but TV could not find my wifi network. I retried this several times but same thing - network not found. I restarted TV but no change. Then I turned Optus modem off, waited several minutes, then turned it back on. Now the Optus modem's internet light is flashing instead of staying on. What now? Am getting quited fed up with this connection problem continually happening.
Note: Thus flashing internet light on Optus modem is a NEW problem - first time this has happened. I again tried manual input for wifi and TV showed wifi connection successful BUT no internet connection. What is happening?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Ok, so perhaps an incorrect assumption from the start. Is anything else in your home connected to the NBN / Modem? I'm thinking its just the TV?

It is sounding like the line is having some problems and the NBN will need to investigate. It could be the modem itslef but with the maintenance having just happened that is looking more like the cause.

You will have to contact Optus directly and request they get a technician to come out and check the line. Let them know the issue is intermittent but persistent and about the recent maintenance that appears to have started the issue. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Peter. I thought the time had come to deal with provider. Intermittent issue, new problems popping up - thank you for all your help and advice. I've also learned a lot.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I'm sorry the Crowd couldn't find an easy answer. But you should be able to explain factors better to Optus support now. Good Luck.
0 Kudos