cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Glenlyon
Occasional Contributor

Swapped from Netgear EVG2000 to Sagecom 3864 v3 HP Internet OK but no phone connection anymore

So Optus sent us a new Sagemcom F@st 3864V3 HP router to swap with the old one.

IMPORTANT.  When first set up with Fibre to the Premises the Netgear router phone port was connected to a filter plug in the standard phone cabling in the wall.  This mean that all the old style phone ports in the house worked (when the NBN was up anyway).

Swapping over the modems I just recabled everything from the old router to the same plugs/ports on the new router.

The Internet connection works as do the other connections plugged in to the new LAN ports but nothing from the phone (and the phone light has not come on on the front of the new router).  When I pickup the phone I just get an engaged signal.  If you ring the phone number from a mobile you just get "call failed".

I then tried recabling the phone cable from the router directly to the phone (as suggested in "Let's get you connected" brochure that came with the new router).  I have reset the router since recabling and still no phone.

How do I get the phone working again?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Swapped from Netgear EVG2000 to Sagecom 3864 v3 HP Internet OK but no phone connection anymore

Sounds like an issue with your account or possibly the credentials entered into your modem (not by you, they should be there when it arrives). I'd contact Optus and ask them to confirm it's set up correctly and if it is, get transferred to technical support to troubleshoot the phone line.

Given the light never came on, I think either the service isn't provisioned (unlikely as it worked before and you just got a new modem) or they haven't entered your VOIP details into the modem correctly which I'd say is more likely. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Occasional Contributor

Re: Swapped from Netgear EVG2000 to Sagecom 3864 v3 HP Internet OK but no phone connection anymore

Connected with live chat (which doesn't seem to work with Firefox but does with Chrome on our machine) and the response was "Home phone is not provisioned completely."

Not sure why since it has worked for the last five years under NBN 🙂

Hopefully will be resolved in 24 hours.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi GlenLyon,

Just checking in to see if it this was resolved?

If not, if you have a fault ticket number please let us know what it is here and I'll be happy to try and get this followed up for a faster resolution.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ray,

Not resolved as yet.  A ticket was raised #21524722 during the on-line chat.  I got a call almost 48 hours after that saying that they needed to do stuff and our Internet (which IS working unlike the phone) would be off for 24-48 hours!

I said that that was not really acceptable, so then I was offered a dongle is being sent out so that we can use that for Internet access when it is cut off.  I assume if I hadn't queried the two days without Internet, then we would have just suffered for the 2 days.

So we have currently been without the landline for over 48 hours, the dongle will supposedly arrive tomorrow or the next day.  Then we need to contact Optus again to get the next step started.  How long it will take to start that step is unknown and then it will take "24-48 hours", but it may take 24+ hours to start I don't know.  So at best another 3 days without a landline, possibly well into next week.

Note this whole thing was triggered by Optus sending us a new router.  Perhaps in future when Optus initiates such a transaction Optus could check the provisioning BEFOREHAND and make sure everything is ready to go when the router is switched over as opposed to cutting off the phone for an inderterminate period of time?  Optus has all the details of provisioning, servers (we are supposedly hooked up to an old one) etc., the customer does not.

By the way the message I got when the ticket was raised was "You can also self serve at optus.com.au/faults-hub" however there is nowhere that I could find to actually enter a ticket number.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi again,

You've basically spelled out everything perfectly as to what is in the fault ticket.

Fingers crossed the planned resolution works out, if not please get back to me here early next week and I'll escalate it with them.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

So the wifi mobile router arrived, I contact Optus via the on-line chat to confirm that and to ask when the next step, i.e. fixing the phone line that had been dead since installing the  Optus initiated router was going to occur.  Three different people, got the Wi-Fi mobile router, but no actual answer on fixing the landline.  Note until that next step occurred, we had NBN to the premises working, so didn't need to mobile router.

Received a call from the guy who arranged the mobile router on Monday who confirmed we had it and started the process of fixing our landline.  This took about 24 hours.

I don't know if any of you are old enough to remember 2400 baud modems, but that's what the service from the 4G Mobile Wi-Fi router was like.  Actually come to think of it, it was worse, a 2400 baud modem is just slow, but it is reliable.  This 4G mobile router was very slow and would drop out often.  We took to using mobile data on phones, or using the phone's hot spot to avoid using the 4G mobile router most of the time.

There was much rejoicing when it was all fixed this morning, but to my mind the question remains, given this was an Optus initiated event - why:

1) Were we without a landline for eight days, and

2) Were we without NBN broadband for 24 hours?

Is there going to be a discount on our next bill for the services that were missing?

Apart from the above, which are I believe were back office issues, the new router would seem to be better than the old one.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi again,

Very glad to hear it was finally resolved!

In answer to your questions, we’re unable to look into account details on Yes Crowd. 

If/when you contact Optus if your service(s) was down for a period of time you could certainly ask for a credit.

0 Kudos