cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Jt1
New Contributor

Re: Still having issues with Sagemcom F@ST 3864AC router

Sums it all up NBN ranked 50th in the world...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-41577003

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
New Contributor Ganesh99
New Contributor

Same here, they delivered the junk which I mean modem.. tried connecting internet for theee days, did chat with Optus team but didn’t come with help.. 4th day, it stopped working.. no light no power.. what am I suppose to do.. I am on the way to Optus centre.. 

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Disappointing to hear @Ganesh99, the modem isn't powering on at all? I'm happy to go ahead and organise a warranty replacement modem for you. You'll need to send us a private message with your account details. 

I'm after your full name, DOB and account number. I'll get back to you as soon as I can. 

http://yesopt.us/pmdan

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
New Contributor Eilwynne
New Contributor

My internet over Optus Cable was fine for years using my own D-Link 868l router.  Then came NBN, Optus put in the Sagemcom router, every few weeks internet was slow or would stop, reboot the sagemcom router and it would work again.  I kept the D-link router in the network for wifi access, but located it after the Sagemcom router.

I was not sure what to do because the Sagemcom was needed for the phone line over NBN, then I read a couple of articles of others using another router ahead of the Sagemcom.  Decided to give it a go, so now I have the D-link router as the first after the NBN NTU (over foxtel cable), and the Sagemcom is just connected to one port of my D-link router, but for the phone to work the LAN needs to be connected to the WAN port of the Sagemcom.

All is well again, the D-link is also better for setting up DHCP reservation.  and no more requirement to reboot the router every few weeks.

The only function performed by the Sagemcom for us is to provide a Phone line over NBN.

New Contributor GeeZed
New Contributor

This is great advice for those capable of setting up this configuration, but for some they just need a better Wi-Fi router that plugs in and works well. 

I have noticed that some of my clients have a newer style of wi-fi router from Ooptus.  I can't remember the brand or model.  Does anyone in this thread have the newer router and is it any better? 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I think that three models have been released since the F@ST3864AC NBN, all vertical standing, some Black and some White in colour. F@ST3864 V3 OP, then F@ST3864 V3 AC and currently the F@ST3864 V3 HP.

In general, some of the negative experiences regarding the Sagemcom Wi-Fi may have been associated with dual band coverage and Beamforming being enabled in the 5Ghz section which can hinder the Wi-Fi performance of the modem, in some cases preventing some 2.4Ghz devices to connect. Another factor which is sometimes overlooked is matching the device to the modem. For example, it was not until 2014 that Apple started shipping devices with the faster 802.11ac 5 Ghz adapters which covered the 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac standard. Prior to that, they used 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4 Ghz 'b/g/n' and 5 Ghz 'a') adapters, which meant, if you had an iPhone 5s, iPad 4 or Macbook 2013 and linked it to the 'a' 5 Ghz Wi-Fi SSID displayed in your modem, it could only operate at 54 Mbps max in theory, at a very low and sometimes disappointing coverage area due to its higher frequency compared to the 2.4Ghz. I would expect that people with these or other legacy devices would be better off connected to the 2.4 Ghz network which has a stronger signal allowing it to operate at greater distances. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Kyp
Occasional Contributor

Hey buddy. 

The best thing for the phone is to use the Sagemcom router as your primary connection to your internet. Set the nbn lan into the wan and make sure you have dhcp on. Configure the router to use a different network ie: 192.168.1.1

Then use the lan port on your Sagemcom router and plug into your WAN port on your own router. You need to provision your dedicated router onto a different network like 192.168.0.1.

This was it all works, I had fun and games for the past few weeks with the same issue.

Good luck. 

0 Kudos