Searching...

Still having issues with Sagemcom F@ST 3864AC router

peejaydubya

I'm still having issues with this piece of junk and now the so called Optus Level 2 support has told me I need to speak to Sagemcom directly because Optus cannot replicate the issue!!!   Great service!!!  When Optus alleged "technical support" was pressed to replace the piece of junk with an industry leading device, the answer was "No".   I could replace the 3846AC with another brand but I would lose my home phone connection.  This mob cannot even provide a VoIP network running standard SIP!!!.   Optus, just get this rubbish replaced with something that works, preferably with a Wi-Fi range greater than 3 metres and a 5GHz service than doesn't keeep dropping out.   I have been told absolute lies by Optus when told they had no other reports - just have a look through this blog.    Absolutely disgraceful!!    And the rubbish Wi-Fi isn't the only issue.   For the second time in 3 months, I've reported the FTA channels on the Gen III Fetch TV box are pixellating to a point the channels are unwatchable (reconnected TV directly to antenna now) FOUR WEEKS AGO and not one status report!!!!    I'm still waiting, Optus!!!!!!!!    And don't bother sending me an invoice because you know where you can stick it!!!!!    And one final insult from this mob - the constant buffering and "low bandwidth"  messages being received on mobile devices and Fetch TV-connected television are constant.    Optus answer is - "we know there is a Wi-Fi problem with Apple devices" -  well there is a news flash!!!   By the way, I also have "severe congestion" in my area with NBN - NBN has only been operational for 6 months so where was the system sizing in the first place???????

All in all, the absolute worst customer service experience to which I have EVER BEEN SUBJECTED!!@!!   But I am going to persist until Optus provides the full service to which I am contracted!!!!!  If anyone at Optus Australia is remotely interested, I have two incomplete service fault reports  I'd love to discuss with someone in senior management @ Optus Australia.

Re: Still having issues with Sagemcom F@ST 3864AC router

kicken

Yeah, I have the same modem and wondering do I waste my time logging an Optus call with it....

Overall connect 90% of my devices to another wifi router in my house and use an ethernet cable to connect it to the Sagecom ... so I'm not sure about the wifi, quality as I've tried the 5GHz and it seems to work about 10 metres away (couple of rooms away).

I did notice the F@ST3864AC does get quite hot, but biggest gripe is I just drop my internet connection. Put the 4pm - 10:30pm congestion aside, dropouts never really happened with my Optus ADSL, but on the NBN and VDSL, I get a couple of dropouts every night and always during the worst moments (working from home, kids streaming a show or playing an online game).... and I mean every night!

So I'm connected with fibre to the node, on the TV package with the new Fetch receiver and home phone connected. I'd like to try another NBN router, but not sure whether to waste the money incase it's an NBN issue.

peejaydubya

Please complain to Optus because that is the only way there will be any service improvement.

If you don't want to use the home phone connection, then you can use another main stream modem that will work a LOT better than the Optus supplied one.   I was contacted by an Optus technician located in Australia and he had access to both the Optus and NBN interfaces.   My Internet congestion issues occurred in similar timeslots to you but what this technician did was to change the frequency my Interent connection was locked onto.   Since then, there appears to be minimal buffering/low internet bandwidth messages and I think the service has improved a little. 

Unfortunately, I'm locked into the HFC service (Optus is turning theirs off an dNBN is using the Telstra HFC) however trying to push gigabit speeds through copper is fraught with all sorts of challenges.

The only way this whole NBN farce will be resolved is forcing the politicians to implement a truly "future proof" solution and that is FTTH.   Anything else is an absolute waste of money.

Keep complaining to Optus, keep complaining to the Federal Communications Minister and forget about organisations like Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO) and the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) as they are "toothless tigers".   Politicians only take notice if there is a danger of not being re-elected!

Hannah-L

Hey @kicken, it'd definitely be worth having our Tech Support team check your FTTN connection just in case there's a fault in the network causing the connection to drop out. You can reach the team here.

qprsludger

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 10.34.39 am.png

[ Edited ]
Jt1

Having the same issue with Apple devices. The Sagemcom modem 5ghz keeps dropping with all my Apple devices. Half the time doesn’t even connect to my Mac! Live in a small apartment and the signal is awful. 

Any suggestions of which modem I can buy for around $100 which will do a better job?

qprsludger

Any router would be better than the crappy optus one
I have been reliably informed that there are new ones coming out next year

I have three optus Sagecom routers in the boxes in my garage, I took the bull by the horns and reconnected my iinet router which I had connected to the NBN previously to signing with Optus.
I connected armed with the knowledge that the voip line would not be able to be functional. 
I connected it and lo and behold without having to input any passwords, the NBN worked AND the voip phone worked too!

I now have the iiNet router connected with the wifi turned off.
This is connected to an Apple airport extreme which provides the wifi. (stronger signal)
I also am using an Airport express to provide a stronger wifi signal for the back of the house.

I have had NO dropouts that I know of for several months and the only time I have reset therouter was on the first day.

I have about 40-50 meg down and variable up but fantastic for my needs.

Basically the routers Optus provide are virtually useless and what's more they know it too.

Hope this little minirant helps

Jt1

Thanks I will shop around. I’ve moved here from UK and the 3 months I have been here can tell you guys are paying over the odds for less of a service. 

In UK I was on 200meg download speeds for past 2 years and all the internet service providers provide us with really decent modems/routers! And for 200meg download with unlimited use I was only paying $50 a month 😩

Jt1

I was looking to purchase an Apple Aiport extreme but as Apple haven’t updated the device since 2013 might opt for a more upto date WiFi router like the google mesh network

qprsludger

Welcome to Oz

I too am from the UK but I came here in 1982, we were using two cans and a peice of string for communication then.

The old people in government went for the cheap option when they installed the NBN, basically most people are still partly on copper wire.

It will hit the fan when there is more of a requirement for 4k content.

At the moment we get 40 to 50 meg which is fine for my needs ATM!!

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
102 Kudos
63 Kudos
25 Kudos
24 Kudos
19 Kudos