Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Breytac
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Speed pack upgrade

I upgraded to tier 3 yesterday between 10am and 10:30am. I was told to wait 3-4 hours and then reboot my modem. 24 hours later and I'm still getting around 25/5, give or take a few Mbps. Live chat isn't working (all I get is a blank screen) and trying to talk to an actual person via phone is like opening the cupboard and talking to the jar of Vegemite. If Optus doesn't want my extra $20 a month that's fine, I can put it towards something else.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Speed pack upgrade

There's a possibility your connection can't provide higher speeds (although that's not the likely problem)

You can only try again. Try opening LIVE CHAT in a different browser. 

It should usually kick in almost immeadiately but might need another tap to get started this time.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Breytac
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thnaks Peter. I called the 1300 number, and was able to speak to someone. As it turns out, the department that handles speed upgrades wasn't available Sunday. I was told it should be upgraded by the end of the day. So, we'll see.

Is there anything I need to do to get the new speed? As I was told on Sunday I have to reboot the modem, but I read on another thread that all I have to do is wait.

Oh and FYI, I'm on HFC, which according to the NBN tech who did the installation Saturday, can handle up to 100/50

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Sounds promising. 

I think it will kick in automatically, but the reboot doesn't hurt.

Enjoy the new speed (I'm jealous) - I hope the peak hour congestion issues some have reported pass you by.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Breytac
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Well...the debacle continues

Saturday: Speak to someone via live chat to get speed upgrade. Told wait 3-4 hours and told to reboot modem. Waited, rebooted...no speed increase (note I am testing via http://www.speedtest.net/ as the router screen doesn't show the down/upstream)

Monday: Rang Optus. Told the speed upgrade would be done by the end of the day. Checked before going to bed. No speed upgrade

Tuesday: Rang Optus again. Told there was an error on the account and the upgrade would be completed within 24 hours. This was at 3pm yesterday.

Now my question is: Is there anything specific I have to do with the modem ie a reboot for the speed upgrade to take effect? I've been told 3 different things, and I'm starting to get annoyed. I'm on HFC, which I was told by the nbn tech can handle 100/40 (which I don't need). 50/20 is enough for my needs.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

There's nothing you need to / can do on your end. Patience (lots of it apparently) and the occasional reboot will do the trick.

Its a pity Optus don't offer the 50/20 tier as IMO that's the best price/performance tradeoff and as much as most homes would need at the moment. Presumably it will be something that might happen in the future.

FWIW applying speed packs appears to be a manual process. Cust Rep. person talks to tech guy who presses the buttons.

Edit: Just realised you're talking about Optus NBN Cable. This may be a little different. I don't know who set the speed tier to your house. But I believe Optus now have to contact NBNCo who will then adjust the top speed on your line. The issue could be on Optus end or something at NBNCo end. The people you have been talking to seem to have submitted the request but NBNCo are stating there is an issue. On your next call perhaps ask them to ask NBNCo what the hold up is?

Hopefully today...

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos