Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
RA64
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Spam emails

For the last couple of months my Optus email account has been drowning in spam emails compare to my Gmail account to which I am receiving little or no spam - this only just seemed to have escalated in February this year and now it at a point where I am spending at least half hour a day reporting and blocking the spam but all to no avail as just receive as many again the next day - I would say around between 20 to 40 spam emails a day - how do I stop this please?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Spam emails

By opening a non RSP based email address. For one thing you can never leave Optus if you want to keep your current email. But Optus email is provided in a big way to be just this trap. Its not overly maintained and security and controls and space and features etc. are provided as is.

Something like GMail can offer a lot more control (and they also filter spam extremely well). There's no confirmation that any of the spam you've reported has even been looked at. Importing all your emails (old and new) is easy and transitioning to a new email address these days is not the hassle it once was.
0 Kudos
RA64
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, yes I have a gmail account already. Looks like I will have to go through everything and ensure my recovery email is changed from Optus to GMail so I can cancel the Optus address. Wish there was a better way. Well at least we have lots of time atm.
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You don't need to cancel the Optus address. Just leave it doing nothing. You can set GMail to automatically import all past and future emails form the Optus address (and auto label them) so you don't miss anything. Turn off the import once you're happy you have updated all contacts and institutions.

0 Kudos