Searching...
Highlighted

So OPTUS, when is the refund and contract release coming? "Yes"?

Rafferty

Along with many other dissatisfied Yes Crowders, for 18 months I have been asking Optus, via this forum, telephone calls, (if answered), letters (never answere), the Telecomms Ombusman, ACCC etc etc; for a refund and release from the 100MBps contract that was never achieved from day one. At best, it has been 50 but mostly around 10- 12 at peak times - not to mention the drop outs. Yet the on line sales blurb, the salesman in the Optus shop and the call centre, at the time, all "guaranteed", that if I paid for 100Mbps I would get 100Mbps. It was only after signing that the fine print of "up to" was introduced. As I said in previous postings this was unconscionable and contrary to ACL. That is, if you buy 12 apples you expect that when you get home there will be 12 apples in the bag. The fruitier doesnt leave 6 out and tell you what he really meant was annything "up to" 12 apples.

Nevertheless, as you know, finally, despite all the excuses and finger pounting byt the retailers, action by the ACCC has "encouraged" Telstra to refund and release customers they knowingly ripped off.  The expectation is that other retailers, eg you OPTUS, will now also do the right thing.

So, YES OPTUS, when will you finally do the right thing and give us the refund we deserve and release us from your unconscionable clutches???? To date, as usual, no emails, no media releases, no phone calls no customer "care"...............

Re: So OPTUS, when is the refund and contract release coming? "Yes"?

petergdownload

Refunds are problematic. Sure the law is on your side but as you've found getting it actioned is another matter. Also your situation is grey (i.e. you're getting some level of service). I would suggest dropping the refund requirement.

You've written an official complaint to the complaints department? This will normally result in a responce of some sort. If not then you can then ask the TIO to step in. Again the TIO is required to give you a response even if its that they think you have no case. 

Generally Optus is letting aggreived customers out of contracts without much issue (its only a minority and not worth the hassle of keeping them presumably). Use live chat and request the 'retentions department' if needs be. however you should find that if you've been making a number of complaints they will simply allow you to exit the contract.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Rafferty

I dont know who you are, but you  appear to offer almost excessive support for Optus. You certainly do a lot of, almost immediate, counter-posting? Seemingly, it could be alleged that you are paid by Optus under the guise of a Yes Crowder  to water down potentially contentious posts? 

Refunds are NOT problematic. Organisations such as Optus who hide from their responsibility under ACL are. We've had this discussion beore Peter  (see above).

Suffice to say, refunds could not be too problematic, especially since after the ACCC action Optus have given a public undertaking to follow Telstra's lead:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/nbn/optus-joins-telstra-in-offering-compensation-to-custome...

So looks like all us 'other' Yes Crowders, who have been ripped off for the last two years or so (obviouisly not you Peter) have got the YES, the question that remians is how and when?

In anticpation of you contacting me with the refund and contract release soon Mr/Mrs/Ms Optus person.......

petergdownload

Hi Rafferty,

Yes, we're all just dogs on the internet Smiley Happy Whole heartedly agree that any post should be taken with a big grain of salt. I'm happy to let the content of my posts speak for themselves. If there's any posts of mine that you feel aren't factual or helpful or just too effusively 'Yay Optus' I'd be happy to get them. If you look through my posts (and that's probably a boring way to spend a Friday night) you'll note there's plenty admonishing Optus for shoddy business practices and basically adopting a business model that cuts corners in all the wrong places. (Premium SMS, 3 month NBN cable shutdown, Auto top ups on mobile data, blaming the NBNCo, Unlimited broadband packages, the list goes on). I suspect Optus probably view me as the proverbial double edge sword, however if they're smart they'll use this forum as a resource and hopefully the feedback will play a big part in shaping how they move forward. IMO unless Optus change several things fast they will lose a lot of customers once their contracts finish and swapping to better options on the NBN is so easily done)

FWIW your original post was a text book example of how refunds are problematic. Seems a lot of effort and so far no refund? If Telstra and Optus decide to unilaterally refund money then that's great. If they decide not to, well then its problematic. Not saying its impossible, or even really hard. Just problematic.

FWIW Optus response to Telstra's concrete action is approriately wishy washy (and manages to again blame the NBN for their failing):

“We are examining the detail of the announcement by the ACCC, but can confirm that Optus is taking action to provide appropriate remedies to those customers where it has been confirmed that the underlying NBN service cannot deliver the speed they signed up for,”

Not sure if you qualify for a refund though. If you're on FTTN and the top speed  possible is less than 100 Mbps and you're paying for the 100Mbps package then you qualify (if Optus actually decide to provide a refund). If you just get slow speeds night after night then you don't qualify for a refund. Optus policy in this case is to allow you to exit your contract without penalty.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
111 Kudos
41 Kudos
31 Kudos
17 Kudos
16 Kudos