cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Slow upload but fast Download on 100/40 speed pack 4

I have contacted optus about this on several occasions but not got what i consider to be a reasonable response.

Background: I have NBN FTTC. From the Pit to NBN box is only 12m with a brand new copper lead in inside new conduit. Sagemcom 3864V3HP router

I have speed pack 4 or 100/40.

Testing has been plugging directly into the modem with no wfi or other connections

I get a consitant 90-96mbps even during peak times however I only get 16-18mbps upload whihc is far from the expected  30-35mbps I'd expect from this plan.

I have also tried another modem with the same results

I've been told various things by optus of why this occuring but they will fix it as I should be getting better speeds but after 3 weeks I have now been told that 18 is all I can expect. I would accept this if I couldn't get the 90 plus download speeds so something doesn't add up I'd appreciate any suggestions. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Slow upload but fast Download on 100/40 speed pack 4

Hi Natt,

FTTC is generally quite capable of 300/100 speeds. If you aren't getting 30-35 upload then it indicates there is a fault. 

This fault might be in your equipment, Optus settings or the NBN. Optus should run some diagnostics to confirm your fault. It sounds like they have found 18Mbps is your current upload peak. At this point they should contact the NBN on your behalf (that's their job) and report the issue and NBNCo will investigate and hopefully quickly repair.

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for your response. It has been resolved BUT OPTUS blamed NBN Co and said the 18 I was getting was as good as it gets.  I contacted a friend who works at NBN CO who did a line test and said I have an excellent connection and he sent me the report. He also said there was no report from Optus about the fault.  I contacted OPTUS again with the information about the line test. 5 days later they did a" force hardware reset from their end which does a reconfig reset as well".  The config cant be done / reset by hard setting /power cylcing the modem and their firmware disables access to advanced config.  When asked why they didn't do this a month ago response was "Too risky as it may crash the entire service it is only used as a last resort" ie when you keep hassling them to give you the service you paid for.   Hmmm I understand what the reset has done but seems more like a config issue at Optus end and I find it hard to beleive a forced hardware rest would be SOOOOO risky.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

With FTTC the issue was always one of a fault somewhere (not a given on the NBN we have now with 40% on FTTN)

I agree some Optus Service people can get a little liberal with their diagnosis. They can sometimes provide a semi plausible reason and/or commit to follow up actions etc. when in actual fact they're just putting it in the too hard basket and know you'll never speak to them individually again. (Even the hard reset information you got is probably not the real info - sounds like a standard procedure from my experience but perhaps they just said it was 'dangerous' to excuse the previous poor behaviou?.)

I'm glad it did get sorted and hopefully that's the end of NBN hassles for you now.

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I'm going throught the same situation, apparently they ca...

I'm going throught the same situation, apparently they can see an issue and has raised a ticket with technical team to fix, I will point them to this thread, when I'm next in contact with them if they need to hard reset modem. I have been getting provisioned in bits and pieces, first my download was getting 40's max, then after they acknowledge their mistake and changed some settings got 90's, now having same battle with upload speed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Same here...

HFC 100/40 plan

Usually I regularly get 95Mb down and 35-37Mb up.

3 weeks ago the up speed dropped to 0.4Mb   ...not impressed with a 6Gb file to upload,,,

21 October

Reported to Optus going through the usual steps...

Several reboots/resets  -  no change

New modem supplied - no change

Several resets, reboots of my end and Optus end  -  no change

29 October -

Optus tech attended, all ok [except the upload speed] - must be a network problem - should be fixed by nbn tech - no change

Fault ticket raised with nbn

30 October

Nbn tech attended, changed a connector outside - all ok - no change

12 November

After several live chats & phone conversations - another nbn fault ticket raised

13 November

Optus tech #2 attended, I was his third customer with same problem this week

14 November

Call from  case manager,

- nbn are working on it, replaced one piece of equipment to no avail, will let me know when there is news.

More news as it happens...