Searching...
Highlighted

Slow speed with non Optus modem

Scott003

Hi,

has anyone experienced slower down speeds when using a non Optus modem?

i have nbn on cable, recently my place was struck by lightening or at least close by. It took out the Optus supplied modem but the ntd remained ok. I thought I would just use a Telstra modem instead as it actually works with dyndns unlike the Optus one that has the settings but never actually updates. So once installed I did a speed check and each time it’s 10 down and 10 up. But if I plug directly into my ntd I get 50 down and 10 up. The test on the non Optus modem was done with a wired connection.

Anyone have any ideas as to why the download speed is reduced. Tried it on another Optus older modem same results so it’s not a faulty modem

Re: Slow speed with non Optus modem

petergdownload

It's a bit unclear what you've tested still sorry. Was the 10 down over wifi on Optus modern?

Peter Gillespie

Scott003

All tests done with cat6 cable. 

NTD to laptop - 50 down 10 up

NTD to Telstra modem/router 10 down 10 up.

regards

scott

petergdownload

So ntd to Telstra modem to laptop? Wired

Ntd to Optus modem to laptop? Wired

Peter Gillespie

Scott003

NTD wired directly to laptop 50 down 10 up

NTD wired to Telstra branded modem/ router to laptop wired as well 10 down 10 up

As per my first post Optus modem/router was hit by a lightening strike and is now in the rubbish bin.

petergdownload

Sorry to be specific, but just trying to ensure we're taking apples and apples. What NBN tech?

There's no normal reason for those results. Optus doesn't require an Optus modem for full speed. 

The lightening strike is a bit of a wild card and not sure what other equipment might be damaged?

Suggest mix stuff up as much as possible. Test different cables and ports. Confirm Telstra modem doing greater than 10 at someone else house?

Peter Gillespie

Scott003

Not sure what you mean by “what NBN tech.?”

So the latest is I ordered a replacement modem didn’t work on my NTD.

Optus sent another out. Still doesn’t work but the Telstra one from my previous post does. 

As as an experiment I took the new supplied modem next door as they are also with Optus. As soon as it was plugged in it connected to the network. Back to my place plugged it in doesn’t work

Back to my Telstra modem until Optus tech comes out in two weeks. 

Perhaps Optus uses a specific port on the ntd that is faulty if that is such a thing.

petergdownload

Its a bit strange. You've successfully connected with several modems (including an Optus one). Yet several Optus modems sent out don't work. 

Does your modem work in your neighbours setup?

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
104 Kudos
52 Kudos
30 Kudos
23 Kudos
18 Kudos