Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor KrisJSG
Occasional Contributor

Slow overpriced NBN

I would like to complain about how terrible my NBN service is.  My unlimited NBN is included in an Entertainment Bundle that expired two years ago and I am paying $115 a month for the 'luxury' of this crappy NBN service.  Web pages time out and my son and I are both having troubles doing uni assignments because the connection is so terrible.  I tried to connect to Optus chat yesterday TWICE and the internet disconnected during the chat both times.  The speed test gave me a speed initially of about 10mbps but today it is back to 1.8mbps even though the person I was talking to bumped it up to speed tier 2.  I feel like disconnecting the service and saving myself the $115 a month that Optus charge me for this awful internet connection.  Of course getting through on the phone to someone for help is another bugbear of mine.  Where do you hide your help numbers Optus??

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Moderator Tris

Re: Slow overpriced NBN

Sorry for the experience @KrisJSG, it's disappointing the speed has dropped back down after you'd raised this with us too. Details on contact methods can be located here, if you did want to call Tech Support, they're available on 131344. Alternatively, you can send me a PM with your full name, number and DOB so I can check into it on my end

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I take it you are on FTTN NBN technology?

Those speeds are well below the minimum legal level NBNCo must provide to each household (12Mbps). Optus should have arranged for a NBN technician to come out and check your line as with those speeds their is definitely something broken somewhere.

If you are out of contract then I would most suggest asking Optus to revise your payments in line with the current pricing ($115 is a lot to pay)

Note that if NBN/Optus can't provide the bandwidth on a lower speed tier then increasing the speed tier will generally have no effect - its like replacing a nozzle on the hose and leaving the tap turned on the same amount - you don't expect any more water to come out.

If you are out of contract and Optus is unable to fix the issue then its very easy to try find another RSP who might be better able to supply what you are paying for. I would suggest finding one with a month to month contract that you can join and see how they perform

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor KrisJSG
Occasional Contributor

I am on FTTP technology.

The 1.8mbps speed isn't all the time and it does differ for different reasons obviously.  One thing I know for sure is that it has never gotten as high as 12mbps.  Even on an early Sunday morning when no one in the house is online except for me webpages will time out.

I don't dare get onto Optus chat as I am afraid that the net will disconnect again like it did yesterday but will give the tech number a try.

As for the price....looking into it now I realise that $115 just for the net is really unacceptable.

Thanks for your advice Peter 🙂

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

FTTP should never have any ongoing issues with speed. The technology can do 10,000 Mbps without much effort.

While there may be a 20% drop in speeds in peak hour due to congestion it shouldn't really exceed this amount and and should revert back to an effortless top speed 

At $115 you should be getting at least 50Mbps and probably 100Mbps speed packages right now. Note that Optus won't proactively suggest you could be better off on another plan unfortunately.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors