Contributor
Contributor

Re: Slow / non-existent Internet Speed on Optus NBN

Here we go again. Internet worked faultlessly for a month or so. But tonight:

Ping latency increased to 330ms, upload non-existent, download only 20 Mbit/s

This happened between 6.30pm and 7.30pm, and still persists

Downdetector shows increased problems around this time with Optus

It may not be noticeable if you are only streaming/browsing

It would help if people who experience recent issues performed speed tests and reported back on the forum or directly to Optus

https://www.speedtest.net/

I will bet you first line support in Optus will say they are not even aware of the issue.

0 Kudos
Ness_YC

Thank you for flagging this with us, @RedVortex. Please note that as mentioned here, NBN Speeds can be impacted by several factors including Wi-Fi Connectivity and network congestion. If you're still experiencing slower speeds than normal, we would appreciate it if you could try some troubleshooting steps to see if this improves your service experience. 

If issues persist, we welcome you to engage with our Messaging Team via the My Optus App who are ready to assist. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

RedVortex
Contributor
Contributor

Please do not offer general information as a solution.

It is so convenient to blame Wifi and/or NBN every time.

My measurement is done through an Ethernet connection (no Wifi) and if it is indeed NBN, it should be known to your teams (and it isn't).

It is not only slow speed. Upload bandwidth is non-existent. Ping latency, that is the time it takes for a packet to travel to a server and back is 20 times higher than normal. It is your network (probably routing or core equipment) issue.

As I said I had exactly the same degradation for 4 solid days before, and let me tell you what will happen if I follow your advise and login a tech issue.

I will be put through excruciating lengthy discussions with various "experts" who will eventually schedule a technician site visit, whilst the issue is plainly not a local one to my premises.

Then I will have to take a day off work only to meet the technician who will confirm that there is nothing on the premises that can explain the issue.

Then, the issue will magically resolve some time later with no explanation whatsoever as to why.

All I am asking from other Optus NBN users, please run speed tests if you are experiencing slow Internet from last night and report on this thread.

And what you could do, as a moderator presumably employed by Optus, if you want to be helpful is to check for any current Optus network issues rather than doing PR.

0 Kudos
Tuong_YC

Good morning @RedVortex - completely understand where you are coming from, having a slow connection can be rather taxing. Considering this is a public forum, its hard to discuss specifics on your service, connection and account.

Just so we can take a closer look and advise in the best possible way - if you could please send through a message to our 24/7 Messenger teams we will be able to follow up and advise further. Alternatively our social media team would also be able to assist. They are available via our Facebook and Twitter pages. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
WildBill
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I knew this would happen. Wrong answer. Why don't you read the problem I have from the chat yesterday? I don't know the speed because I can't access it here for Adelaide!!!!!! Not on the App nor on the net. That's why it was redirected to an "expert"
0 Kudos
George_YC

@WildBill we don't currently have a server located in Adelaide to complete a speed test for a specific Optus server. The speed test in the My Optus app will connect to the best server to give you an idea of the speeds you can get. Alternatively, you can visit Speedtest by Ookla and select an alternate server provider in Adelaide.

WildBill
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

So I can't get a speed test here for Optus. That's pathetic. Other providers do. What is the good of using a speed test for Hobart or Melbourne that comes up in your App? Ookla doesn't have Optus Adelaide either. The choices all have different speeds so how can I check that the speed I am getting is right? When are you going to fix this?
0 Kudos
George_YC

Speed tests can be variable as content you're viewing may be located in servers all around world, so it will never give you a true representation of real world speeds even if there was a server in Adelaide @WildBill.

Not to worry, I have marked your message as feedback for the relevant teams to review. If you're worried that your connection is not performing correctly, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus App. The team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.

0 Kudos
WildBill
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

You and almost all providers state "typical busy period" (evenings 7-11pm). You specifically state your speed is around the highest at 100Mbps (Optus Premium Evening Speed). My plan with you and cost is based on this and is "Optus Internet Entertainer Lite 100". If I have an issue with the speed I get I have the option to check it on the App and notify you of a potential problem. I was with Telstra and could check my speed at any moment and whether there were issues with connection, faults in my area and works being carried out. I can't check Optus speed on either the App or the net. as you are aware.  My issue is as previously stated. How can I check my speed at any given time? Why is it not available on the App. or Net? Does Optus intend on doing something about it? If not why not? If so, when? If it's available from other providers and Optus in certain areas, why not Adelaide?

0 Kudos
Jono_YC

I can understand where you're coming from, @WildBill

We're also available to assist via Social Media. Please send us a private message to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details for further assistance.

Top Contributors