cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Slow NBN speeds

I have been posting here for a while and have been arguing my situation for hours on end with m ost probably the least helpful staffgoing around.  One company yet disjointed to the point that you have to repeat yourself everytime you move to the nextperson due to the fact they dont use the same request system.  You never get calls back or if you do they are someone new... and the first thing they ask is please explain to me the issue.....my response is allways read everything that has been written and I will wait, as ai am over repeating myself.

6 months on NBN worse thing I ever did, 7mbps while on DSL and since I went on to the NBN I have moved to an average of .8 megabits per second the service is has been very poor and the conactivity has been worse and to top it off the last two and a half weeks I have had no service whatsoever and had to fight Tooth and Nail to get someone out to fix my problem.  Once I spent 12 hours over 2 days with Optus helpless staff I had an NBN engineer booked to come come out a week later. Once he came to the door he was muddied and disgusting as they must have been working at one of the nodes after all the rains I asked him to take his shoes off before he came into my house or at least put some shoe covers/booties on he outright refused and told me I was a moron after I insisted that he take his shoes off and then said F this I am leaving you Fn idiot my 7 year old daughter who was right by my side turned to me and said why did that bad man swear at you.  A formal complaint was placed and I have heard nothing since.  Once he left I was told by Optus and NBNco that I knew appointment would have to be made a week later I got apologies from NBN Co and Optus in regards to what had happened but they still would not be able to make the appointment any sooner. A week later I got an NBN Co contractor turn up and the first thing he did was take your shoes off without me even having to ask him, he was curtious and helpful and fixed my conectivity issue but speed still an issue 80% of the time.  The best I get is around 5mbps and this is once every now and then.  My mobile data charges have gone through the roof due to not having a working internet connection.  I was promised a call from the escalation team I have not received anything as yet it has been 2 weeks sorry to say it but this is probably been the worst support and provision of service I have ever received from any service provider I have ever been involved with......Disgusting!!!!!

Below are some service speeds I have collected.

Screenshot_2017-01-08-17-26-57.pngScreenshot_2017-01-08-17-26-57.pngScreenshot_2017-01-08-18-08-48.png

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

@BOB81Z Mate I suggest you get onto the YesCrowd (or is that NoCrowd now) blog titled "Everyone with slow NBN speeds read this before moving forward " and share our frustrations and experiences. 

I suggest you follow the recommended path of:

- next time you phone Optus ask to be connected inmediately to Supervisor who has authority to give you a Complaint Reference Number (not a regular call reference number). That is key.

- Then ask for a Case Manager to be assigned to you under that Complaint Reference.

- Ask for the name of the Case Manager that will be assigned, and don't give up until you have an answer along the lines of at least "we'll let you know within 24 hours"

- On every call ask for the Supervisor, ask them to SPELL their name and what their CP (agent or employee) number is and write that down along with time/date of your conversation

- Write down a summary of each and every call you make, and ask the Supetvisor to confirm that other Agents looking at your call history will have access to prior calls made and what was discussed. Tell them you have a record of those calls and any commitments Optus made.

- After you have a Case Manager assigned successfully you will receive a call from most probably an Australia based Agent who will tell you Optus is looking at upgrading services in your area, but they can't tell you when

- At that time your Case Manager may offer you either to upgrade you to a higher plan for free (may be of little benefit if it's a congestion or physical connection issue) or give you an option to break the contract at no charge or continue on with Optus at the current experienced speeds until a future upgrade occurs while giving you a monthly credit for 6 months.

It took me nearly 100 hours of my personal and professional time to get to that point of resolution.

But you need to go through that process and have all that supporting data before the TIO and ACCC will take your complaint seriously.

Good luck. Try AussieBroadband or NuSkope. Dearer but they pay for more CVC (bandwidth) allocation to mitigate peak period congestion. And you pay for what you get.

Mind you, you haven't said what type of NBN connection you have. If you have Fibre to the Premises the above applies. If it's Fibre to the Node or any other method where copper is the last leg of wiring to your premises, you may be out of luck unless that "last mile" of copper to you can be improved.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

By the way @BOB81Z when Agents that first answer your call try to say that you don't need to talk to a Supervisor because they can assist you, just be persistent and firm, saying only a Supervisor or Case Manager can assist resolve this for you.

They are well trained to avoid a call transfer to a Supervisor since any escalated call reflects badly on their individual KPI's (key performance indicators).

Insist that this is an escalation to Management and that you already know that first line Agents do not have the authority to resolve the level and seriousness of the Complaint you wish to lodge.

And if Supervisors try the same angle, tell them that from your experience no Supervisor has the required level of authority required to resolve your Case and you insist on speaking with a Case Manager.

PM me if you need more advice or have problems with the supplied Sagecr@p modem/router.

Cheers 

GK

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Guys,

I have been experiencing very slow NBN speeds, today the speed test showed me 500kbps and i am on 25mbps plan. I called the Technical Support and was on the call for almost an hour and they were not able to provide me an answer. They reckon there is a bandwidth increase and this has been happening for almost a month now and unfortunately they don't have an ETA?

Very strange and this was the response from the manager, Optus wants customers, charge them money and they don't like to provide the right service. 

I cannot even lodge a complaint via email

Please keep me posted

Thanks

Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey there, @KG11. I can see that you've created your own thread on this topic elsewhere. I'll respond to you in full there.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi cobber, I am in Broadford Victoria, and currently have the same issue. Because i have a BComp I get to talk techy with the support teams. My problem is that Optus have taken on too many customers and all the data goes through one exchange. This exchange has to be upgraded but there is no time frame available to do this. I am on a 100/40 plan currently getting about 40/40 with frequent drop outs. So here is what you need to do. You need to get a ticket from Optus support. If its anything like me, they will try to refuse to give you a ticket because its a known issue and cant be fixed.. Dont let them do that, you have no leg to stand on when you go to the billing department and try to get some type of refund. Potentially wireless broadband may be in your area, that a possible fix but unfortunatly not for me. I am running both https://testmy.net for speed test, but Optus will not accept that however (I am told) that if you use http://speedtest.syd.optusnet.com.au/ then Optus can see the test speed. Ask questions document everything. Another ISP is not going to be any help either, they go through the same exchange. You can lodge a ACCC ticket, those guys are currently watching ISP's promicing speeds they cant deliver. Good luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Trigon,

BCOMPSCI brother 🙂 I have finally given up, gone to a new provider and paying $20 less than what I was paying for 25 mbps plan unlimited data and am on a 100mbps plan unlimited data providing 37mbps at peek time otherwise 70mbps+ so very happy.  Sorry all but had to give up and move on.

Thanks and Good Luck

Bobby

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

So a update. I had a call Sunday afternoon from the Complaint Dept. Cant do anything etc etc, but when i got home I rechecked the speed which by some strange coincidence was about 85/37 (100/40 plan) mmmm, so i looked at my outside tests, and the speed from the net to my PC was still 9/4 .. Now Optus will tell you that thay have no control over the web speed, so the speed i am getting looks like the Optus server has a dial up connection to the web, and a gigabit connection to me. I am sorry mister customer, we only look at the speed from us to you. This is most strange because prior to and on Friday May 12th i was getting about 65Mbps down consistantly. Tuesday May 16th it dropped to 6Mbps, and since then has hovered around the 8/4 Mbps range. Has a server farm died? Are we all being throttled. ACCC (dog with no teeth) gave me a ref number to keep track of this, but it looks like i am bailing from Optus as well. ... Yes i know it goes through the same exchange but if the exchange can support the approx 65/35 speed i was getting in May, then I will be checking speeds of other ISPs to this site.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Slow NBN speeds and, Modems blowing up in my rourounding streets

Slow NBN..... 2 modems have blown up, OPTUS have replaced these at no cost but the speed is 40% of what I am paying for.This NBN is very bad and the Prime Minister who was in charge at the time of  "TO THE NODE" ... WELL it is useless

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have been on NBN Fixed Wireless for nearly 2 years

I have upgraded early  to 50/20 speed tier

Whwn I first got upgraded I was regularly getting 35 / 15 MBps

But just recenty i have noticed that the speed has not been as quick

The Fetch TV Box is often telling me that I have a speed issue

I tested several times today with a couple of differned servers in adelaide and consistently get poor speeds very similar to each other

PING                    84 ms
DOWNLOAD     12.32 Mbps
UPLOAD             4.51   Mbps

That speed is worse than when I had ADSL

Whats happening?

Peter

0 Kudos