Searching...
Accepted Solution

Slow NBN speeds

dob1

I went on to NBN last Monday

On ADSL I was getting 3Mbps downloads and .5Mbps uploads

On NBN I am getting 2.8Mbps downloads and .4Mbps uploads inspite of being on tier 2 supposed to be 25/5

Anyone else got this problem.  I'm getting the runaround between Optus and the NBN and nobody seems to be able to fix it!

Re: Slow NBN speeds

Sam_D

Hey there @dob1 - not good to see you're NBN speeds aren't performing as well as we'd like! How long has your NBN been active? Is the 3Mb/s constant or does it vary throughout the day? 

Highlighted

dob1

My NBN has been active for 1 week.  I started testing a few hours afer the tech had left.  About half the time the speed test times out and does not deliver a result.  The rest of the time it always reads about 2.8Mbps just varies by about 100 bps.  Day, Night, peak, offpeak, doesn't matter it is uncannily close to the same speed I was getting on ADSL and nothing like the 25/5 I signed up for.

Guy

That doesn't sound right and I'd like to take a look at this for you @dob1. Can you PM Through your username or service number? Guy

FunWithTreason

seems pretty standard all around for Optus right now, http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5737926294.

wjf
Solution

dob1

I can't believe it! My problem is solved. It wasn't Optus, or NBN.  It was my computer.  A few months back I updated my computers motherboard and network controllers.  Today when I tested internet on another computer it worked just under the 25/5 it was supposed to.  So checking back on my main machine I found that the Killer Network Application had "Bandwidth Control" set to the figures I was receiving.  I didn't know this was turned on and set.  On ADSL it didn't matter as it was about the speed of the line, but on NBN it throttled what this computer could receive.  Problem solved.  Sorry Optus and NBN!

Hollie

Hey @dob1 - appreciate you following up and letting us know what ended up being the cause of the problems there. Hopefully this information may help out other customers who may be experiencing the same thing Smiley Happy

Also gives us something else to add to our troubleshooting flows.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

FunWithTreason

sadly it doesn't fix my issues, i fixed the same one myself back in August, sadly peak speeds are still as poor as ever, http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5740628927

dob1

Yes I can understand that.  My issue was never about speed variation during the day, but about a constant slow speed.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
106 Kudos
37 Kudos
29 Kudos
12 Kudos
12 Kudos