Searching...

Slow NBN speeds on Speed Pack 4 (Speed Boost Max)

Morticus

I recently connected to the NBN via Optus on the My Entertainment Plus bundle which includes Speed Pack 4 (which is NBN speed tier 5 - 100/40). After running some tests, I have not been able to crack the 50Mbps mark for download speed, while upload sits around 25Mbps. The NBN is new in our area, so I thought perhaps it was just a congestion issue that would resolve with Optus buying more bandwidth from NBN Co, but it has not improved since installation, both using the Optus supplied Sagemcom modem, or a Netgear D7800 Nighthawk. It's FTTN - so I though perhaps that could have something to do with it, but my neighbour just connected to NBN through iiNet (also on NBN speed tier 5) and we ran a speed test and they are getting between 94 - 97Mbps. I can't understand why I would be getting half their speed when I'm using a tier 1 telco??? Any ideas or suggestions welcome!

Optus Speed Test

Highlighted

Re: Slow NBN speeds on Speed Pack 4 (Speed Boost Max)

Casey

Hey Morticus, just to confirm, are you both using the same modem or different modems? 

Morticus

Hi - we are using different modems. My neighbour is using the modem supplied by iiNet (it's branded iiNet - so not sure who OEM'd it for them). I have tried using the Sagemcom F@ST 3864OP supplied by Optus as part of the Entertainment Bundle and have also tried a Netgear Nighthawk X4S D7800, both with the same result - sub 50Mbps. It almost looks like the speed is capped at 50...

Optus Speed Test 2

Steph_C

If that's the case it might be worth getting in touch with our tech support guys on 131344 to further discuss this and ensure the speed settings are correct.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Morticus

Ok, so spoke to your tech team - correct speed settings are enabled on the account.

Where to from here?

Steph_C

If that's the case - what did they advise when you spoke to them regarding the speeds you're getting?

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

hdjaime

Did you ever get a resolution to this? I'm having the same problem but our speeds are worse.  We are always around 5-6 mbps and was told by Optus they can't even put me on a booster pack because my line is only capable of a maximum 12.5 mbps.  The issue is, my neighbour who is with Exetel gets 20-30.  I actually connected to his wifi from my lounge room and still got 20.

So why is he getting decent speeds and I've been told I can't get more than 12.5?

Hannah-L

Hey @hdjaime, it does sound pretty puzzling. Can you please PM me with your account number, home address, full name and DOB so I can double check that info?

Sunny92

Did either of you get your speed issue resolved? I'm also having the same problem on FTTN with the speed boost max. During peak periods I've been lucky to get 2mbps download with 13mbps upload. Later through the night it improves but I seem to max out at 35mbps download and 14mbps upload. The rep from tech support tried to tell me it was due to congestion but no amount of congestion could make the peformance that poor. Another rep manually configured the modem to fix the issue but there has been no improvement. To only be getting 2mbps there has to be a line issue or something and this was through both Ethernet and wifi connections. 

Miles_R

Hey there, @Sunny92. Really sorry to hear that you're also not getting the best speeds at the moment. Could you please PM us with your account details so that we can investigate this further for you to see what's going on with the service?

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
105 Kudos
37 Kudos
29 Kudos
12 Kudos
12 Kudos