cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Gligo
New Contributor

Slow NBN speeds from 7-11pm

From all th posts I have read nearly all of them are experiencing slow NBN speeds from around 7-11pm.  I am having the same issue you cannot stream on the Fetch TV or Foxtel now that it is HD during these periods.  I am on 40/100 speed pack so they tell me?   During the day I get around 45mbps download, I am even happy with this if it was constant. They have said it is to do with congestion and  with no time frame to fix the issue.  This is  because Optus does not want to spend any money and buy more capacity from NBN Co. Once aging us as paying customers are getting taken for a ride.  I hope the ACCC steps in and does something. So , much for the governments NBN. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Slow NBN speeds from 7-11pm

Well the government can't force Optus to provide a good product. However they can force Optus to provide what they say they will or allow you to leave with no penalty. If you are paying for a 100Mbps tier then you should be recieving it. The good thing about the NBN is it does provide choice. So if you decide you want to leave you can try alternatives that may perform better (due to not having unlimited plans built heavily around streaming TV - congestion? Surely not! Smiley Surprised)

FWIW You'll have to decide if the speed pack is worth the extra $20 to just get that 45Mbps (out of peak hours.) I'd suggest dropping it until Optus performance improves.

After that, you'll need to decide if you want to stay with Optus.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Webby97
Occasional Contributor

I have expereinced the same. Just switched to the $80 bundle, primarily for the EPL but figured the premium odem couldn't hurt. Was then told that 7-11pm is a peak period and to expect congestion (to the point that my speedtest showed 1-3Mbps). I understand that but still have streaming issues when watching EPL live i.e. at 2am!! Hardly a peak period.

Sad thing is that the chat client pretty much said not much I can do about it, NBN issue, upgrading, yada yada yada.

I fond it ironic that they use Usain Bolt to advertise their impressive intenet speed, but then again he is retired now 🙂 

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi @Webby97,

Despite what the customer service says, Optus can't foist the non-performance of their product on to other companies (like the NBN). Optus offer a service and need to uphold there end of the bargain. If you are unhappy with the speeds and Optus can't ectify the situation you can ask to end your contract with no penalty. Unfortunately you would lose the EPL.

You could get a $40+ mobile phone plan and get the EPL on that (a chromecast or AppleTV etc. would show it on the big screen)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS Just checking but you seem to have disabled PM messages?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Webby97
Occasional Contributor

Looked into those. I'm actually on a $40 plan but chose the higher GB offered as opposed to EPL. I share this with kids so returning back to 1.5GB is not really an option. My son did mention paying the extra $15 to get EPL but then I pointed out for an extra $5 (i.e. upgrading budle) we'd get fetch box, a channel subscription & premium modem as well. It seemed the better deal. I would consider ending contract if it weren't for EPL and truthfully for most other things e.g. websurfing, email, service has been fine.

PS DM's weren't deactivated just never activated. All good now 🙂

Thanks for the response.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

1-3 Mbps in peak hour will give TV streaming issues. 

If you do a speed test at 2am and get much higher speeds (as you'd expect) but are still getting poor EPL then you might need to check your setup.

1) Try watching the EPL on a PC connected by wire to the modem (is this image ok?)

2) Are you connecting via wifi to the fetch box? Try connecting via wired.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Moderator Shauna

Thanks for reaching out, @Webby97. I'm sorry to hear about your issues getting a consistent stream when trying to watch EPL. I can only imagine how frustrating this would be :I In your instance, I'll need you to quickly fill-out a fault report here. Once you've done this, a member from our TV & Content team will touch base to perform some troubleshooting. If you do this during a live game, they'll be in touch within an hour. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Top Contributors