Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Evergreen1
New Contributor
New Contributor

Slow NBN - failure of service

I dont get how NBN is considered acceptable. 

I echo sentiments posted by others. 

I get between 2-5mbps... i cannot stream on this. 

How is this ‘upgrade’ remotely acceptable? Class action has to be the only way force change. 

Optus could of course scrap their ‘throttling’ of bandwidth, and charge one price like most countries. 

This is laughably bad. The call centre are just nice people trained to be nice about it all - recommend switching channels - use cable... lol

Am over sensible conversation. This doesnt work. Its a failure of their service and if anyone wants to join forces to drive change and ultimately a much improved service  let me know. 

Yours 

bored of how bad Optus NBN is

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
wn
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Slow NBN - failure of service

I am from Adelaide. Same story here, just switched from IInet to Optus because they called me up and hooked me with "good deals". Worst mistake of the year, now I am stuck with this for 2 years. Should had gone for month to month. I will go back to IInet once this is done. 0 recommendation for Optus to anyone I know. 

The modem is a joke, WIFI keeps on dropping out and internet connection is 50/50. Modem is constantly restarting itseft. Constant dropout even though the speed is to be expected. They said it is faster than my IInet but it ended up the same. IInet was extremely reliable with connection and speed wise. No problem for the last 4 years until this bs. Everyone in the family complains about the internet as soon as I switched to Optus. I haven't even bothered to call Optus up for tech supports because I know that they won't get anything fixed after researching through "Optus NBN constant dropout" on google.

GG Optus,

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi evergreen,

There are definitely issues with the rollout but there is also a fair amount of confusion on causes. If you'd like to provide some details we can possibly provide some options.

1) Are you on FTTN NBN?

2) What Optus plan (speed tier) are you on?  

3) When you do a speed test off peak (like this morning) do you get faster speeds than in peak (7pm -11pm)?

4) Have Optus told you a expected top speed for your line (if you are on FTTN)

5) What postcode are you in.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Evergreen1
New Contributor
New Contributor

1) Are you on FTTN NBN? No - greenfields FTTP

2) What Optus plan (speed tier) are you on?  lowest - I was paying for speed, but felt ripped at average speeds of 7 to 10

3) When you do a speed test off peak (like this morning) do you get faster speeds than in peak (7pm -11pm)? various times. 2am - 8am, 7pm etc random. put it this way - it never excels (unless is switch wifi channel and i may get 3 minutes of 60mbps - which is what makes this situation all the more annoying. Open the taps please I know you can do it!)

4) Have Optus told you a expected top speed for your line (if you are on FTTN) - yep. under delivers consitently. 

5) What postcode are you in 3079

0 Kudos
Evergreen1
New Contributor
New Contributor

BTW gamifying my responses with badges is not helping....

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Thanks for the info (sorry I can't control the badges)

FTTP definitely doesn't have various issues other NBN tech does. You should basically be able to hit the speed you signed up for.

I'm a little confused though as you said 'lowest' which is 12Mbps (max) Getting 7 to 10Mbps is roughly the expected return as Optus list here

But then you say also get 60Mbps (which suggest you are on the highest NBN speed plan?) 

FWIW Testing should not be done over a wifi connection. Wifi has nothing to do with the NBN speed delivered to your house. Your wifi connection sounds to have issues which is your responsibility to sort. Can you do a speed test over a wired connection?

That said, If you're paying $60 for 12Mbps then 7-10Mbps average is pretty much all you should expect.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Evergreen1
New Contributor
New Contributor

My apologies - i should have provided more detail. 

I was on a faster deal/program/whatever with optus - but i felt it a waste of money given my average speeds were 7-10. I am not including the occassional 2-3mbps and drop outs. That average was being generous.

Now i am on a basic (12mbps) expecting 7-10 is not great over wifi, string and can or ethernet. How is it in thailand, vietnam, ghana, morocco, argentina, italy (naples even) and even silly old england can and does do better? 

So assuming paying for 12 and expecting 7-10 over wifi is somehow acceptable. Then getting regularly 2-4mbs is probably ok too - just a tad weak? 

Furthermore, the wifi is an optus modem - set up as per optus instructions but somehow is my responsibility? Shall i open it up and see if the fan belt needs tightening?

The 60 mbps is an anomoly that occurs sometimes, momentarily after i switch wifi channels. Momentarily only. 

Optus delivers a wifi signal to me via whatever means they choose. Maybe in australia this is normal and i should just be greatful for the miracle of fibre cables and the world wide web - which actually I am - but given my experience in so many other countries, i have trouble understanding how this service is considered to be adequate. It isnt.

It isnt working. Or rather, its working very very poorly - the speeds are terrible. The dropouts frequent and i know this isnt normal. Hence why I am sharing this on YesCrowd and winning lots of badges! 

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

If you are on FTTP and only capable of getting 10Mbps then there is something broken in your situation. FTTP can do 100Mbps standing on its head. 

I'm not suggesting the WIFI shouldn't also work, just that it is one more link in the chain of getting data to your final device. When you are trouble shooting you need to simplify the situation so you can work out what is going wrong. If you run a speed test over a wired connection then you can immeadiately see if the problem is downstream (the modem or the NBN) or upstream (the modem or the WIFI).

In many instances problems people experience with their internet has nothing to do with the carrier themselves. I'm suggesting you need to try localise the problem better and then a solution should present itself.

Funny story: Back in the day my Dad worked for IBM installing mainframe computers into major companies that took up whole rooms. At one stage they had a product that could be upgraded to work at double the speed for around $50,000 (a lot back then). IBM sent in a four man crew that worked over night to bring the new system online. The actual upgrade involved taking the lid off a small unit and moving a 'fan belt' from the smaller wheel to the larger one. The rest of the night was spent playing cards and drinking whisky Smiley Happy

Regards

Peter Gillespie

NB Forget about the 60Mbps false read, its just very small numbers fluctuating before settling down by the sounds of it.

wn
New Contributor
New Contributor

Where are you getting your service from? If you are in Adelaide, I would suggest switching to IInet. I had a Big Fat Zero problem for 4+ years (from ADSL to NBN). I don't know what about other states but this is what I can recommend if you are in SA.

I am from Adelaide and I used to be with IInet NBN ($100/month for 100/40mb) for about 2 years until Optus called me up and offered their NBN service. I thought the deal they gave me was better value for the same money which includes Optus Sport (I have been paying $15/month for Optus Sport for my phone plan), so I signed up on the 2nd Feb this year. It had been a terrible experience every single day.

- Slow speed and not exceeding what was promised (The sale guy said Optus customers are getting faster NBN speed than other providers, statistically speaking he said. What a load of crap and false claim as I had found out now) 

- Drop out 10+ every day

- My VNP software is blocked for unknown reason (only works when I connect my IInet supplied modem back on)

This is with the "Speed pack 4" which is 100/40mbps. Optus has not provided me what they promised and advertised. 

I am calling Optus up tomorrow, cough up $500 cancellation fee and go back to IInet rather than stuck with this bs for next 24 months.

0 Kudos