cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor LukeJP1
New Contributor

Slow NBN Speed

I'm getting slow NBN speeds. I've got the 50/20 speed pack but I don't think its active because I'm only getting speeds of 10/5. I've tried calling but keep getting run around in circles.

Is there any way to check if the speed pack is actually active and my area just has very slow speeds?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Slow NBN Speed

Is your 10/5 conistent, when you use speedtest.net, or does it get worse than that during peak hours?

If it's always the same speed, then it's a sign that a speed pack will get you greater speeds.

Also, test around midnight.

0 Kudos
New Contributor LukeJP1
New Contributor

It is consistent around 9-10 down/4-5 up. During "peak" times it might get a bit slower.

Midnight or 3am 10/5 still seems to be the max.

Speaking to Optus on the phone I get told I have the speed pack(50/20) as it shows in member services and to restart the router but that never makes a difference.

I've also been told more than once theres local congestion and thats just the maximum speed but it seems odd that my speed is almost capped at a speed tier even during times there shouldn't be congestion.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

We keep hearing stories about speed packs that won't apply. The only advice is to dump them, so you day have to pay. The fact that you get low speed at peak times, shows that even when you do get a speed pack, your peak hour speed will be poor.

People have to wait until the MTM (Malclm Turnbull Mess) is fixed. We need the results of the ACCC speed survey.

0 Kudos