Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
fnarkl
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Slow NBN HFC

We have transferred over to Optus NBN HFC yesterday from Broadband and have noticed a sizeable drop in speed.

Currently the maximum speed obtained is around 11Mbps when we were getting around 28-30Mbps on Broadband. We are on the

Speed 3 pack. Testing has been done connecting directly from a PC to the NBN Connection Box but this makes no difference in Mbps. We have also reset the NBN Connection Box but no change.

Also, the plan states that a Fetch Box should've been delivered as well but this has not arrived. (We do have an old Foxtel set top box (PACE DC420NO model) that is used for cable tv).

0 Kudos
11 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Slow NBN HFC

It sounds like there is some further work needed to be done. Its possible Optus have you on Speed Pack 1 (12Mbps) and they can just update this on their end. Alternatively they may need to get NBNCo to test the line. You can only contact them direct, go through the usual support queries and then request a technician if that doesn't fix the issue.)

FWIW You are now on a new HFC Cable and it may need tweaking.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Jeneral__Pain
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Given the testing you've done would suggest the problem is upstream of you, you need to contact Optus with all of these results and get them to open a fault with NBNCo (if the fault isn't caused by congestion on the NBN POI between the Optus core network and NBN in your area). 

Give Optus a call! 

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
fnarkl
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the responses.

I decided to contact Optus and was informed that they had put us on the 12Mbps plan (instead of the Speed 3 NBN50 plan) after all. 

They have stated that they have now changed it to the 50Mbps plan (as it was meant to be) at no cost. Now we just have to

wait 4 hours and reset the modem to see if it works.

Jeneral__Pain
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Ah easy fixed! 

When you do the "reset", leave the Arris (NBN Box) offline for about 5min to force it to fully re-register and pick up the new speed offering.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Four hours is the saftey bracket. Many cases it will be five minutes. Nothing stopping you trying it now.

Peter Gillespie

fnarkl
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Just reset the modem and left it for 5 minutes before reconnecting. No change, still 11-12Mbps.

Might just wait a few more hours and see how it goes....

0 Kudos
fnarkl
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

One other question,,,should I do a factory reset or a standard? (turn off at power point, unplug from back of NBN Connection Box)

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Standard is fine. The only variable here is if the activation team get to it. It can be 5 minutes. It's usually within 4 hours but can be a day or two. That said there is nothing has about sticking a pin on the small modem and doing a full reset every hour or two.

Peter Gillespie

fnarkl
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Peter.

I have tried both but still at the same speed. I will try again soon and if so over the next day before contacting them again

0 Kudos