Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
heads5150
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Slow NBN After Outage on Sunday

After an outage on Sunday, my NBN connection has dropped from 48 Mbps to 24Mbps. 

In addition to this, I am also getting dropouts every 12 or so hours.

I've attempted to reset/restart the modem on 6 separate occasions with no luck.

When I try to report a fault I'm on the phone for over 1 hour and no answer. I've also tried the "report your fault" functionality and it won't recognise for my username or phone number either.

How can I get help?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Slow NBN After Outage on Sunday

Its possible you've been dropped to an NBN25 plan by accident or of course that the outage broke something. Optus should be able to verify the speeds between them and your modem.

Contact them on Facebook or Twitter. And yes, its totally unacceptable IMO that Optus force customers to join third party data aggregators just to be able to report a problem and get some assistance.
0 Kudos
heads5150
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @petergdownload .

I have neither Twitter or Facebook. It's unfortunate that we have to go social to get a response from Optus.

0 Kudos
Tina_YC

Hi @heads5150, thanks for getting in touch with us. Not great to hear you're experiencing issues with your NBN speeds. 

There’s a range of troubleshooting steps that may help with internet faults/speeds.

We advise you to follow the basic steps so that we can rule out any network or software issues. 

If you’re still needing a hand, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus app: https://app.optus.com.au/msg-us?tags=OCAYCMSG. Our Messaging team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible. If for some reason you’re unable to use the My Optus app, please send a private message to the official Optus Facebook or Twitter page for further assistance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
heads5150
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

HI Tina_YC

I've been through the basic troubleshooting steps. I've run speed tests over the wired and wireless networks and it's very similar 18-35 Mbps - average 22-24

I've also tested isolated the router from my network and connected a laptop directly to it, the speed on average was around average 24 Mbps.

I will jump on a chat but I am not entirely hopefully as I've had this issue at least 20 times in the past 18 months with no resolution from Optus - where I had to hire an independent contractor to proof the issue to Optus. 

It's disappointing that it continues to occur. It's not surprising though that the issue went away around March when the NBN release extra capacity but comes back now.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"It's disappointing that it continues to occur"

One of the best things about the NBN is that you can switch to a different provider essentially immediately. There are definitely some RSPs that have a focus on empowering their customer service agents and allowing them to take ownership of an issue and see it through to a satisfactory conclusion. I suggest you ask around at whirlpool for some names.
0 Kudos
heads5150
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

To make matters worse we've the internet has know been down for over 2 hours. 

"One of the best things about the NBN"... the problem is everyone of these instances Optus has blamed the NBN and the NBN blames Optus. Before I got an independent consultant in a NBN technician turned up check the connection at the pit and then took off without contact. I had to call him to find out what was happening the response "You've got 85Mps at the pit. It's Optus" and Optus said "You've got 25 Mbps plus 12 dropouts per day. It's NBN". I saw neither of the reports.

I think I'd get similar issues wherever I am but to cut a long story short (ish) I will be moving to another provider.

0 Kudos
Ness_YC

It's disappointing to learn about the runaround that you've experienced with this @heads5150. We appreciate all the troubleshooting that you have conducted so far and would like to conduct further investigations on our side. 

If you haven't already, could you please reach out to us via the My Optus App → https://app.optus.com.au/msg-us?tags=OCAYCMSG? If you prefer, you can also message us privately on our Official Optus Page via Facebook or Twitter. Both support channels are available 24/7. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
heads5150
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response.

Already trying myoptus. 5 minutes with no answer so far...
0 Kudos
Ness_YC

Thank you for your time @heads5150. Depending the number of customers utilising this service currently, there could be a bit of a wait. But, the Messaging Team are hard at work and will get to you as soon as they can. 

Alternatively, if you have a Facebook or Twitter profile, feel free to send through a PM/DM on our Official Optus Page. Our Social Media Team are more than happy to help also. 

0 Kudos