cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Settings for computer connection to connect directly to cable modem

G'day folks

I was asked by tech support to connect my computer directly to my cable modem to trouble shoot loss of internet connection.  This did not work, but I wondered if my connection settings might have prevented this. 

My computer is normally set to have automatic connection, but with preset DNS server addresses, to bypass Optus DNS servers.

How should my connection be set up to ensure this is a valid test of the modem?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Settings for computer connection to connect directly to cable modem

I have tried full automatic connection (including DNS from DHCP) and it doesn't work either.
I am using Linux Mint (LM 19.3 XFCE) and have the option to set up a connection as DSL/PPPoE. Is this better? What settings would be important?
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @frankus333, the technical support team ask you to connect the computer directly to the modem via an ethernet cable to isolate if this is a Wii-Fi issue or actual line issue where internet is dropping off. I would recommend to change the modem settings to the default one (without bypassing Optus DNS servers) and then test the connection. Please refer to our modem → user guides for more information. 

If the issue still continues then you are best to speak with our Technical Support team via the → messaging service to assist you further.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Kartika
This sounds like the usual confusion of terms. The Router is the Optus box that all the devices connect to, ethernet and wifi. The cable Modem is the decoder that drives the Router.
Does this mean I should not connect directly to the cable modem?
I thought the tech support I was communicating with understood the difference, but maybe not?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

The problem comes with the fact that the Optus supplied device is a Router & Modem and most people, including Optus staff, refer to it as modem.

As you have an NBN cable modem (i.e. NBN HFC) then that is what you must connect to "directly".  You would  connect to it as a simple WAN connection, so you would use a connection type of DHCP/Direct Connection or IPoE. A connection type of DSL or PPPoE will not work for NBN HFC.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks YetAnotherAcc

So that means the usual computer Ethernet LAN port is moved from the LAN side of the router to the outlet of the cable modem?

This is what I have tried, with both standard automatic DHCP settings, and fixed DNS settings, and neither make a connection. I guess that means there is something wrong higher up. All the 4 lights on the modem are on steady, and it seems to cycle through them normally when I power cycle it.

Optus has booked an NBN tech to come tomorrow, but it seems the fault is outside, higher up, so I don't know why an NBN tech has to come here.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

So that means the usual computer Ethernet LAN port is moved from the LAN side of the router to the outlet of the cable modem?

Correct. On the HFC Modem it should be plugged into the yellow UNI-D1 port.

This is what I have tried, with both standard automatic DHCP settings, and fixed DNS settings, and neither make a connection. 

Does you computer get an IP address? If so, what are the first two sets of numbers of the IP address (i.e. the xxx's in  xxx.xxx.???.???).

I guess that means there is something wrong higher up. All the 4 lights on the modem are on steady, and it seems to cycle through them normally when I power cycle it.

Its hard to tell, but if you can't connect then all solid lights would tend to indicate an upstream problem. See light guide here.

Optus has booked an NBN tech to come tomorrow, but it seems the fault is outside, higher up, so I don't know why an NBN tech has to come here.

Because the modem can fail in unexpected ways. The tech will have diagnostics equipment that will be able to test the line right up to house socket and can then better rule in/out the modem as the problem.

Which Optus router do you have? When the Optus Router is plugged in to the cable modem (even without a computer connected to it), what do the lights show?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks YetAnotherAcc
No connection to the computer at all.
The router is the standard F@st 5366 TN-A; totally locked down. Software up to date at 1009.  The power and wifi lights are on, but nothing else.

The computer connects to the router normally, but has no internet.  Everything looks normal on the router dashboard, except the note that there is no internet connection.  Cables confirmed OK.

This started around the time of a storm and close lightening strike on Friday evening in Brisbane.  No power outages.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

The router is the standard F@st 5366 TN-A; totally locked down. Software up to date at 1009.  The power and wifi lights are on, but nothing else.

The fact you don't even get a WAN light means there is definitely a cable modem and/or upstream issue.

This started around the time of a storm and close lightening strike on Friday evening in Brisbane.  No power outages.

That almost certainly explains it.  I've see reports on whirlpool recently about a lot of cable modems getting fried as a result of lightning strikes. Some people report that getting the HFC modem replaced fixed the issue, while others said the fix only lasted a few days, implying the the modem and something upstream may have failed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks YetAnotherAcc
I'm curious about the modem lights and cycling showing normal, but not working.
I have tried two other older modems which I take to be OK, left over from previous NBN tech visits when they were trying to find a problem which turned out to be on the pole connection outside, back in June (as discussed in this forum then).
Neither modem will register properly. Does that mean there is some secret techie trick required to register a different modem each time they are replaced?

0 Kudos