Searching...

Setting GUEST access on the SAGEMCOM F@AST3864AC

theBIZ

Hello all

Just received my Sagemcom black pizza box and have it set up and running NBN.

BUT, I would also like to configure a guest wifi access for friends/visitors when they come over.

I have tried all avenues. 

Trawling through modem access menus (Cant see it) - Optus NBN support (fail) - Sagemcom Support (fail)

Any help would be awesome Smiley Happy

Will this modem (or is it the OPTUS firmware) allow for such a setting... Most other modems do

Cheers

Re: Setting GUEST access on the SAGEMCOM F@AST3864AC

nbn

Hi @theBIZ,

Firstly, your Sagemcom is black? Hmm, that's strange - I recently received mine, and it is white...

In any case, it is my understanding that, having tried on my end as well, there are no provisions for Guest Wi-Fi Access - the best way to work around that would be to, unfortunately, connect a BYO Router to your Modem, switch off your Modem's Wi-Fi, and then connect to your BYO Router's Wi-Fi that way.

If a Moderator (or anyone else) has a better idea, we're all ears!

-Terry.

Did this post help? Feel free to give a +Kudos!
Did this post solve your query? Feel free to mark this as the
Accepted Solution!

theBIZ

Hi Terry

Yes mate, itza black box.................

I just received an email response from sagemcom support as below.

"Unfortunately we cant help you here as your product is not supported by XGEM.

Please direct your enquiry to OPTUS as they are responsible for the support.

Kind regards,

Hotline Support

@ : support.service@xgem.com

Looks like their support network is from a parent company.

After MANY HOURS on the phone to OPTUS today and them telling me that they do not have much support for this modem and I must contact the manufacturer..

Well, I did just that and now I feel like i've done 50 laps of a roundabout.

Thank you OPTUS for supplying such an inferior product... What the hell was wrong with Netgear?

Billion and Fritzbox have similar modems but better flexability? 

But, I will try your suggestion soon of using another modem as my WAP .

Thanks Terry Smiley Happy

nbn

Hi @theBIZ, and thanks for the update.

All good; any Moderators on here that can explain the difference between the black and white Sagemcoms (I'm just curious...)?

I'm perplexed by what has been said; the Sagemcoms are running Optus-customised firmware, meaning that they would have greater control over the technical aspects of the modem which as users we would be unable to otherwise access (the Netgear Modems did not have two-tiered access, as far as I am aware - I am happy to be corrected on that, if that is the case).

I'm also all ears as to what rationale Optus has for supplying Sagemcoms when Netgears have been intuitive to setup and use.

Just a heads up if you end up purchasing a BYO Modem: Optus are generally not required to provide the necessary details to enable full functionality of your BYO Modem, and technical any support provided would be also limited to bare essentials.

Keep me posted on how you go with the Wi-Fi situation.

-Terry.

Accepted Solution!

newline

The white modem is the (original) F@st 3864. The black modem is the (new) F@st 3864AC.

Highlighted

nbn

Hi @newline,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Smiley Happy

-Terry.

Accepted Solution!

Scott_M

Hi @theBIZ, the modems don't have provision for more than one SSID broadcast unfortunately. If you don't wish to supply your existing Wi-Fi password to guests, you can consider setting up MAC filtering and adding their device as needed manually. I have a Wi-Fi extender on mine at home which allows you to setup a separate SSID and they are not expensive.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
59 Kudos
33 Kudos
18 Kudos
14 Kudos
13 Kudos