cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Michieux
Occasional Contributor

Second thoughts about Optus NBN

After signing up with the big O for NBN (we've been with them for decades), they sour our experience by gouging us for our ignorance about what "plans" were available to us. I don't like complaining, and I don't like confrontation, and we have probably paid dearly because of that over the years. But enough is enough. For the first time, thanks to the NBN, we have an actual choice regarding which company we sign up with, and we are mulling over our options. I'm just fed up.

Sorry for the rant.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Second thoughts about Optus NBN

There is nothing wrong with a good rant however I am not sure what you mean by Optus gouging you for your ignorance on the plans?

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Oh man, sorry for the experience. I just wanted to put a little light on the Optus NBN Plans. I was just like you ! i thought NBN plans were too pricey, given that there is a competitive market out there wwho are ALOTTTT cheaper than Optus. I did my research and found Optus's cheapest plan($70) is actually benefactual for myself because:

1. it comes with speed pack 50/100 (some companies you have to pay $80+ for this speed)

2. you add call pack for $10 for unlimted internation and national calls

3.if you run through any issues, they have an Optus app that can tell you if there are any outages or run isolation tests and troubleshooting, saving you from calling tech support.

Watch the market for cheap prices by reasearching what is actually included in the price, mainly want to look for something that includes calls and higher speed values

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

What features are you looking for @Michieux ?

100mbps? 

40mbps upload?

Land line? Calls included?

Optus sport?

Month to month contract?

Modern included?

Unlimited data?

How much data so you generally use each month?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hello, and thank you for your response. (Thanks to everyone who responded.)

I should have described what occurred in more detail, so, belatedly, here goes. We opted for the $85/m package as that most suited our needs. All well and good, but then we got hit with a charge we weren't expecting. About two years ago we were given a Fetch Mighty as part of a deal Optus was offerring back then. The deal was to last for two years, but I'd completely forgotten about that. The result was that an extra $15/m appeared on our bill, seemingly out of the blue. My initial reaction was one of dismay, swiftly followed by my cancellation of the Fetch Mighty.

Then, after a few days, I became aware of a $90/m plan on offer, which included a Fetch Mighty, plus a choice of a channel pack, so I decided to change to that plan. All well and good, except that our latest bill, which we expected to be $90, was for over $175.

My beef is twofold: why didn't Optus forewarn us that our 'free' Fetch period would be ending and that it was going to incur a charge? And when I rang to cancel the Fetch, why didn't they give us the option of changing to the $90 plan?

The whole episode is disheartening.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yeah Optus does short itself on the foot a bit with existing customers. Their general policy seems to be not contacting people approaching the end of a contract period. Most contacts simply move to month to month on the same terms and possibly Optus prefer customers to keep paying older higher prices than prompt a contract renewal. Optus also has an incredibly complex plan count with much of the benefits tracked on. So they have a hard time working out if any given plan is worse or better than another. 

More recently Optus have started doing bonus offerings that do lapse after 12-24 months. More people are feeling a bit bitten these days.

Contacting Optus service can be hit and miss. Sometimes you will get a clue proactive person other times theyll just do what you ask (or worse break something). Sounds like you got the latter.

I wouldn't worry on the $175. It gets messy when you change plans. Wait for bill 2 to see how it settles down and then Optus can adjust of needed.

But as you say choice is now the name of the game. Here's hoping optus deliver for you from here on out.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Zapache
Occasional Contributor

This is definitely NOT a plug for Optus, as I think they gouge existing customers as much as they can and provide very poor and unaccountable customer service though only being able to contact Optus via offshore sub-contractor call-centres.

However, if you are negotiating a new plan, switching to a new plan or migrating to a new plan - ask firmly to be put through to their 'Customer Retention Team', implying you are dissatisfied and looking to change Retailers.

With some limitations, they can 'sweeten the deal' to retain you as a customer.

Just like asking the Banks for a lower mortgage interest rate or you'll switch lenders.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks to everyone who responded. The issue has been sati...

Thanks to everyone who responded. The issue has been satisfactorily resolved, and we remain faithful and loyal Optus customers. (Needless to say, we don't like change unless there is a compelling reason for it.)

Regards,

Michieux

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Thanks for letting us know Michieux. I'm sure Optus we're...

Thanks for letting us know Michieux. I'm sure Optus we're happy to be able to address your concerns properly. Nothing like customers having a choice to focus the customer service team.
0 Kudos