cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor ELI77
Occasional Contributor

Satellite NBN

Hi, Just wondering if its possible to have 2 separate NBN connections on the 1 property - we live in a rural area and there are 2 houses on the property, wifi wont work due to distance between the 2 .. can a second NBN satellite service be purchased to house 2 ????

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Satellite NBN

I think youl have to rule house number 2 as a seperate property inorder to have another service.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Spoiler

thats disappointing to hear .. at 1 stage it appears to have had its own phone line Smiley Sad such a pity NBN seems to have made things harder not easier for people to have what is now considered a standard service

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

that a good sign then. If you were able to get a seperate landline at one stage, there should not be a problem hooking up house 2 to another service. Have you tried a wifi extender before to see if the wifi could reach property 2 ?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

house 2 has different residents - hence why we want to have 2 separate services / bills

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Generally only one NBN connection per household.

The exception if FTTP. Amoung its many qualities is the ability to have up to four services by different RSPs at the same time. However since you are on satelite its unlikely you'd end up with FTTP in any circumstances.

There are easy ways to share the single NBN data connection between the two units.

You can also easily have multiple landline numbers to the one address. Essentially you register with a VOIP provider (that assigns the numbers to your modem). It is actually much easier than before as you can have 50 landline numbers all using the one cable in (if you wanted). There are better guides but you can read here.

The only issue is that Optus don't let you use external VOIP providers (they lock their modem to them). I'm unsure if you can use another VOIP box just plugged into the Optus modem (the link above suggests yet). If not there are plenty of RSPs that let you but you'd have to use one of them.

How far is the second property from the first?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

The 2nd residence is within 20 meters - i should add we want to have completely seperate accounts (internet and phone) as i run a business from home and dont want to have my service degraded by using the same satellite and i dont want to be billed for someone elses service. it would seem though this isnt possible

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

To add Ive also just read 'Where more than one dwelling is on the same property, the dwellings need to be deemed as separate dwellings meaning a rates notice is issued for each separate dwelling.' in this case they are on the same rates notice

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Any chance a neighbour isn't getting Satelite NBN and you could get is hooked up there and run the line back to your house?

Distance involved then?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately not we are all on acreage here and mobile coverage is poor so everyone uses their phone service .. thank you all for the suggestions

0 Kudos
Top Contributors