Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Sagemcom fast3864 NBN wifi issue

Hi,

Well, we finally had to move backward into the 20th century and have this NBN installed. To say I am impressed would be under stating a lie at best. However, I am stuck with it and have to make it work, so I need some help now to do this.

The WiFi on the modem as we know has been severely limited by the removal of the WiFi amplifiers and of course the IPV6 capabilities, yet for the life of me  I cannot figure out why any computer that has Windows 10 installed on it cannot connect via WiFi. I have now tried 8 computers of my own and friends, with the same result, they see the router, but do not connect.

For a joke I got out an old HP laptop on windows 7 and it connected immediately, but the WiFi speed was not the full 150mbs, it was 143mbs which seems a bit odd. All my Android devices are fine and connected first time. My Samsung television does not however, so no netflix or anything else on that for now. So test 2, another windows 7 laptop from my daughter, Bingo, connected first go, but again speed was not the laptops 150, but a 146.

Further online investigation led myself and friends to read and research for a few days, only to find info on DNS issues. It was worth a try. We found that a few people had put in manual DNS settings of Pri 208..67.222.222 and Sec 208.67.220.220.... After doing this and a reboot, the windows 10 computer now had complete wifi access to the internet through the "Mongrel" Sagemcom system.

You  would think this had solved the problem, HA...! the connection speed is 79mbs on a 300mbs capable computer. This is when it is the only device connected. As I have only had NBN for less than a week, I thought I was prepared to give this modem a go, but compered to my ADSL2 it is nothing short of an insult to the users and a poor joke on technology. I am sure there must be some legal standing that can be applied with regard to withholding and forcing us to use a piece of equipment that a)prevents us having, and b)interferes with, our entertainment and leisure time.

Now that I and my fiends have worked out how to get all the codes and passwords from this modem, I am thinking I may invest in a more useful device and configure it with VOIP and wifi as my primary modem and only keep this one as a backup, that is  unless someone in here has a solution that can make this unit function the way a  VOIP wifi router should.

Also, the issue of the windows 10 problem needs to be addressed, I honestly do not believe everyone wants to be plugging in network cables to the laptops when they come home from work and sitting next to the modem or having 12 metres of cat5 across the room.

Thx for listening to my issue, grizzle and rant.  Didn't mean to quite so P'd off, sorry

If you go through life with your head buried in the sand,......all people will see is an ass..!
I am an OPTUS customer and NOT in their service.!!!!
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
RetiredModerator Nghi
RetiredModerator

Re: Sagemcom fast3864 NBN wifi issue

Hey Jiefu, thanks for the detailed post. I'm glad you were able to get your Windows 10 machine online. Very strange that only that one machine was having problems though. Are all your quoted speedtests above using WiFi? Does it make any difference connecting via Ethernet? I do know of other customers who have installed their own NBN router successfully however we wouldn't be able to provide any tech support specifically for this configuration.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi Nghi,

Maybe I am missing something in all these speeds, I dont know. I have finally given up on Windows 10 on this laptop, Sony refuses to support it and after the last big update more than one issue has presented itself. So, I figure back to good ol Win7 and some good WiFi speeds. Alas, no...! Sure it detected the WiFi on first attempt and every logon there after, but the speed reading for the WiFi is now only 72Mpbs..!  I am confused as in the OPTUS shop they tried to tell me this is correct as it is Mbps and that is half the speed of my WiFi capability on the laptop.....? The specs for my system are:

Wireless LAN Data Rate

Maximum transmission speed: 150 Mbps*8, Maximum receipt speed: 150 Mbps*8

The *8 refers to a note about distance and obstacles etc causing interference, but as I am maybe 3 to 3.5 mtr with clear line of sight to the router I find it hard to use that as an excuse.

Further to this dilemma of connectivity, I have upgraded one laptop that was windows 7 and connected at the full 150 Mbps to Windows 10 and now it to has failed to connect at all via WiFi. Once more with some fiddling about with the DNS settings I can get a service connection but barely at 67Mbps.

Today I take both Laptops to my daughters home and connect direct into her Internode ADSL2 account via 1) Her new Netcomm Modem Router and 2) my old Internode account (prior to OPTUS) Fritzbox 7290 voip. In both instances the laptops connected immediatly the passphrase was entered and at the full 150Mbps and at the same time. Down loading data was also notable faster and even web pages were faster to load up.

Nghi, your question re network cable, my desktop is connected via this method and as it is all 1Gb, I have found that it is a very fast system dependant on where the files are coming from of course. I have connected the Sony laptop via cable at times, but I feel some what frustrated as, if I do not remember to disconnectt from WiFi then it stay on wireless and I am as equally annoyed.

Still no luck with Samsung smart TV remaining locked to the router either, visually it can see it, but thats all it does. More money down the drain as I pay for netflix while I wait for solutions to appear somehow.  The simple answer being, "Let us use our own VOIP ROUTER", just give us the configuration details. OPTUS should not reat everybody like they are children who cannot or do not know how to use their own equipment. It's like being sold a car, but being told you cannot open the bonnet or else...!

I'm sill trying to make this router work for now, but come the new year, if I have not had any luck then it will be in its box and I will just have to buy a real VOIP - ROUTER and configure it for use myself.

Thx, Jeff

If you go through life with your head buried in the sand,......all people will see is an ass..!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Well, after further digging and testing every little function on this "box", I have got the windows 10 laptop to connect at 150Mbps. Moreso, I also have my smart tv connected and functional, but there is some limits. more on these in a moment.

First the modem/router or whatever it is. In the settings, one of the things I did was set the Mhz to 40. This got me the higher speed connections but they weren't stable, with them dropping to 72Mbps at times. My next move was to set the frequency to the upper band and then choose Ch11. Now, this was done after roaming in and around my house with my mobile phone using two wifi scanners for conflicting wifi signals. Both are free and worth using. Netgear wifi analytics and wifi analyzer. Why two you ask..? well they both have some different ways to read that are beneficial in setting up at home.After doing this and a modem reboot, then a computer roboot for good measure, I haad the full wireless n connection of 150 Mbps. It is also worth saying that you should find your wireless card drivers yourself and not trust Win10 to give you the best. This is true of many of your laptop drivers now and be warned to check if you can really have Win 10 on your laptop. I had to reformat my Sony VAIO as Sony will not support M/soft W10. Just a word of warning from a week of nightmares LOL :),...Anyhow.....

Ultmately, you are looking for a clean signal with no overlap of any other band or user wifi in your area. Then you are also looking for the strength of the signal to your devices. In some cases this may not be Ch1, so you need to make a decision on the channel that is going to suit you. You also need to know what your systems use, b.g.n.ac etc. Do not be fooled into believing that there are three channels that do not overlap in Australia, there are only two according to the telecommuniications people. You can set the modem to usee only the desired type if you want, if it is auto is can also slow down things. I have mine set to n as all my equipment is n standards or higher.

The Sagemcom modem, does not transmit at the full 300Mbps, but 244Mbps why, I don't know. it does have two bands though. Having said that, at two meters from the unit the wifi signal dropped by 40%, with nothing between it and the scanning unit. At four meters, the wifi signal was 50% or less, but maintained this level throughout my small but comfortable home. Readings still fluctuate within the same room as the modem/router as much as 10dBm with nothing moving.

Running these same tests on my old Fritz box modem that I gave my daughter (ADSL2) the readings are wildly different but not for NBN - ADSL reasons. The modem transmits at 310Mbps. The signal strenthg dropped to 88% at 15 meters and 70% at 25 meters. At these distances, there was no fluctuation over  a 15 minute period in any number of rooms. ( Should have kept it as it was NBN compatible and voip as well ). Overall, it proved that as a modem alone this Sagemcom is not cutting it for the wifi component of the deal.

Well, this was done about four days ago and I have tested and checked every day, several times. Everything is funtioning great, I even went so far as to set my smart tv up with a new dns and now I have access to netflix worldwide.

This does not mean I am satisfied with the Sagemcom Forked 3864, not by a longshot..! This thing barely does what it is designed for and cannot even provide standard 300Mbps wifi speed. What we need in this day and age is a dual frequency 5mhz / 2.4mhz unit 1300/600 to match the equipment that peole have in their home these days, not equipment that predates ADSL1 standards.

I don't mind if I buy this myself, as it would be my choice, but listen OPTUS, give us the information to make our phones work so we can have a better more informed choice of equipment. We dont ask you to provide support on our hardware, just give us the information to make the settings for the phone work.

Contributor kencooke
Contributor

BYO router with Optus VoIP

Assuming have an existing and working Sagemcom router setup plugged into the NBN box and that your BYO router is set to factory defaults. My ASUS AC66u has default address of 192.168.1.1. The Sagemcom router has default address of 192.168.0.1

Power down the Sagemcom and your BYO router.

Unplug Sagemcom from the NBN box and plug it into a LAN port on the BYO router. Leave the phone line connected to the Sagemcom.

Connect the BYO Router  WAN port to the NBN box.

So you have Sagemcom WAN port connected to BYO Router LAN port and BYO Router  WAN port to the NBN port that the Sagemcom used to connect to.

Power on the BYO Router and wait for it to fully reboot.

Power on Sagemcom.

You should then have a fully functional BYO router connected direct to the NBN and a fully functional OPTUS VoIP phone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: BYO router with Optus VoIP

Hi Ken,

I have been following your posts and the subsequent replies and issues with interest.

I think you have hit the easier solution for solving this problem by far, well done. However, for myself I do not want my wall infestec with multiple pieces of equipment. So my plan still stands at cracking the VOIP codes and using a complete new VOIP / Router over the Sagem POS.

If OPTUS had any consideration for us as end users and not as potential criminals, then they wuld give us this information.

But, they believe that based on a claim once where someone excaped paying an account because charges were accrued becuse of the VOIP info being given out, we are all the same. I personally think this is slanderous and also ludicrous as they must know that if the persson accepts this informaton, they accept the responsibility as well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor sspp66
New Contributor

Hi Kencook,

I followed your post, and it works well. I have NBN internet, and VOIP phone function. Thanks. But I do have one problem. I can receive phone call, but I CANNOT call out. Do you know what should I do to fix this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Jact
New Contributor

Tried this set up, ie, new router as primary router to modem and optus router with phone line, connected from wan to lan1 of primary router. Changed IP address of Optus router (10.1.1.1) but kept original IP address of new router(192.168.0.1) 

Can hear dialling tone on phone but cant call out or receive calls. But if i change connection around,ie, Optus router as primary and new router as secondary, phone works fine but I want to use new router as main and keep Optus router just for phone with wifi switched off.

I have a hfc nbn. Can you help? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Jact
New Contributor

Tried this set up, ie, new router as primary router to modem and optus router with phone line, connected from wan to lan1 of primary router. Changed IP address of Optus router (10.1.1.1) but kept original IP address of new router(192.168.0.1) 

Can hear dialling tone on phone but cant call out or receive calls. But if i change connection around,ie, Optus router as primary and new router as secondary, phone works fine but I want to use new router as main and keep Optus router just for phone with wifi switched off.

I have a hfc nbn. Can you help? Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos