Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Franki
New Contributor
New Contributor

Sagemcom f@st 3864V3 AC phone port 1 NOT working

The supplied Sagemcom f@st 3864V3 HP gateway was not working properly as internet was unstable.

I replaced it with the old Sagemcom f@st 3864V3  AC gateway & internet becomes stable BUT phone port 1 is NOT working, thus my landline is unavailable.

Please help.

Franki

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Sagemcom f@st 3864V3 AC phone port 1 NOT working

Hi - given you had a voice service before, if you haven't done so to date, might be worth factory resetting the V3AC - remove phone cord, then insert paperclip into Reset hole for 10 seconds whilst the power is on. You should see a red LED coming on momentarily to indicate the start of resetting and the boot process may take 2-3 minutes. The modem may do a firmware update - not sure if version 10.96 is still current level for both models. You may benefit by doing the same process to the V3HP in case firmware issues caused your previous instability with it. Compare firmware levels in both units and try the one that has the latest first. If no change, you will need to contact Optus for them to investigate nd remedy in the network. 

Franki
New Contributor
New Contributor

Mkrtich,

Thanks for the advice.

Both my V3AC & V3HP routers have version 10.96. Since the factory resetting, I disabled some devices accessing the Wifi network & now have 10 devices on the 2.4 & 5 GHz bands. Some devices still complain about internet access instability/quality over Wifi occasionally but this becomes less frequent. Will monitor to see if things improve over time.

Regards,

Franki

0 Kudos
Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you for your feedback. From reading other posts, it appears that  the later version  F@ST3864HP broadcasts a stronger Wi-Fi signal  coverage on the 5Ghz band than its predecessor - HP standing for High Power maybe. Moving the location of the modem away from corners or walls, even a metre or so can sometimes change the propagation patterns to be more friendly for  struggling devices.

If your home is able to accommodate an Ethernet cable installation between certain rooms, you can use the F@ST 3864V3HP as your primary modem and extend your Wi-Fi network by using the F@ST3864V3AC as an Access Point thereby providing better Wi-Fi coverage to remote wireless devices.  

Franki
New Contributor
New Contributor

Mkrtich,

How do I configure my other Sagemcom router as Access Point to provide a better Wifi coverage please?

Franki

0 Kudos
Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi - there are two ways of cascading modems and the set up you choose will depend on your specific network needs, so this is going to be a very generic response. 

1. Primary Modem 3864V3HP Network  LAN port -----------> WAN port of 3864 V3AC. Each has their own DHCP Server, different IP address range and Wi-Fi SSID names for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands (SSIDs can be the same if you wish but I like to know which network I am connecting to). Devices in 3864V3AC can connect to the Internet and should be able to connect to other devices in 3864V3HP network and access the GUI screens of both modems.  A PC connected to the 3864V3HP will be prevented from accessing devices in the 3864V3AC network by its Firewall. This arrangement is called Double NAT and not liked by Gamers as it slows down their ping times, or anyone who has special Port Forwarding requirements but it is fine for simple access networks. 

2. Primary Modem 3864V3HP Network  LAN port -----------> LAN port of 3864 V3AC. The network  DHCP Server resides in the 3864V3HP, DHCP Disabled in 3864V4AC , one IP address range for both networks with same or different Wi-Fi SSID names for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. Devices in 3864V3AC can connect to the Internet and any device connected to both modems but there may be some restrictions in accessing GUI screen in the 3864V3AC I think. This is a Single NAT Network. 

If you wish to start with the first configuration and see if it meets your requirements. There are some good YouTube videos on how to do both variations. A quick start guide would be as follows - assuming 3864V3HP retains it default IP Address 192.168.0.1.

1. Connect your PC with LAN cable to the 3864V3AC, open web browser and log-in its default 192.168.0.1 address - you will be challenged for User ID (optus) and Password ( your Wi-Fi key phrase) , go to LAN Setup Page and change the IP Address from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1; change Start IP Address to 198.168.1.2; change End IP Address to 192.168.1.254 and [Apply/Save]. Remove LAN cable from PC and power restart the modem. Check program change has occurred correctly by connecting PC back into LAN port of 3864V3AC and review the LAN Set Up page. 

2. Connect one end of Ethernet cable into WAN port of 3864V3AC and the other end into a LAN port of the 3864V3HP. From your PC connected to the 3864V3AC, you should have access to the internet. If you wish to use different SSIDs for each modem and are still logged into the admin screen of  the 3864V3AC, you can alter the names of both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSIDs and retain the same passwords. I think Ver 10.96 shows two separate SSIDs in each modem.

Hope this helps. Let me know how you go and if I have missed anything.

0 Kudos
Franki
New Contributor
New Contributor

Mkrtich,

Thanks for the advice.

Now I have one router in the study room & the other router in the family room as an Access Point, providing a better Wifi coverage in the house. Arrangement works well.

Regards,

Franki

0 Kudos
Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Glad all worked out well. All the best. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors