Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
ciscozest
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Sagemcom Modem/Router Replacement

Hi Peter.

sorry, I made things confuse. There is no filter from wall socket to my Sagemcom NBN device (I just checked again). The cable from wall socket to my Sagemcom device is using phone cable, not UTP. There is no NBN fibre cable to my house, also no NBN box in my house and I reuse the existing phone socket/plug as before (ADSL2+).

What type of NBN is this and do I need VDSL capable device if I want to replace Sagemcom?

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@ciscozest wrote:

What type of NBN is this and do I need VDSL capable device if I want to replace Sagemcom?

You are describing an FTTN connection. You need a VDSL2 modem. See here for a list of known FTTN compatible modem/routers.

ciscozest
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

thanks for the very useful link. I reckon my NBN speed is lower due to FTTN connection. Is this assumption correct?

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

FTTN is definitely the slowest of the wired NBN tech, and the speed will be due to a combination of distance to the node, quality of that line, and quality of the home phone wiring.

Here is an old map with distance and speed estimates (read disclaimer on page) which may or may not give some insight.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

FTTN is the worst NBN connection type (you lost the NBN lottery). Its maximum speed is 100Mbps (About 25% of FTTN houses can achieve this. About 50% will get around 50Mbps and an unlucky 25% will get only 25Mbps.

Optus are legally obligated to let you know what your max rated line speed is. Ask them. If you get a VDSL2 modem (required for FTTN) then see how the speeds go.
0 Kudos