Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Occasional Contributor ciscozest
Occasional Contributor

Sagemcom Modem/Router Replacement

hi. I am under Optus NBN50 plan with entertainment pack. My actual NBN speed is at 24 - 26 Mb average. Certain areas in my house are having weak/ none of Wi-Fi coverage using the supplied Sagemcom modem/router so I am thinking of replacing it. Since I am not using Optus supplied home phone, can I simply SWAP the Sagemcom with the Asus DSL-AC88U device in this case?

regards,

Robbie

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Sagemcom Modem/Router Replacement

Yep. 

Based on your speed I assume you are on FTTN. The DSL-AC88U's internet connection wizard apparently auto detects FTTN just fine.

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Has Optus given you an official top line speed? If you are on FTTN you should have that by now (as well as an offer to leave etc.). Any chance you have old bad in phone wiring? Getting this fixed might improve the speeds.

As mentioned try the other modem out. Should be fine. Also some modem chips handle bad FTTN signals better than others (Broadcomm Chips). Check out Whirlpool for suggested models (they only cost $25 on gumtree)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

hi. I forgot to mention my connection is FTTC. Optus helpdesk told me that there is congestion in my area however I tested anytime (peak and offpeak) always between 24 - 26Mbps download. I am on speed pack 3 (NBN50 which theoretically can enjoy up to 45Mbps if I am not wrong).

I think my wiring is fine. Previously I used ADSL2 with TPG that could get 17Mbps (down) / 1Mbps (upload) since I am less than 1km from TPG ADSL exchange. Reboor and reset Sagemcom device is still the same outcome.

regards,

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

my NBN is FTTC. Do you know if Asus DSL-AC88U work with Optus NBN reliably based on Broadcom chipset?

I know some people have had issue with intermittent drop. I have been with Optus NBN for quite some time. This happened to me (FTTC) and my cousin;s house (fibre to the premise) so I am thinking that changing the supplied modem/router may help to fix this. any thought?

regards,

Robin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@ciscozest wrote:

my NBN is FTTC. Do you know if Asus DSL-AC88U work with Optus NBN reliably based on Broadcom chipset?

With FTTC you only need a router (any router or modem/router will do) and not modem/router as the NBN box is your modem. The chipset shouldn't matter with FTTC.

I know some people have had issue with intermittent drop. I have been with Optus NBN for quite some time. This happened to me (FTTC) and my cousin;s house (fibre to the premise) so I am thinking that changing the supplied modem/router may help to fix this. any thought?

ISP supplied modem/routers are rarely the best, and a lot of people say that their drop outs disappear (or at the very least are greatly reduced)  when they switch to using their own.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@ciscozest wrote:

I think my wiring is fine. Previously I used ADSL2 with TPG that could get 17Mbps (down) / 1Mbps (upload) since I am less than 1km from TPG ADSL exchange.

With FTTC your copper run should be a lot less then 1km. I read somewhere that the typical FTTC copper length is something like 40m. So if you were getting 17Mbps at 1km, i'd think that you shouldn't have any problems getting the advertised 40Mbps typical evening speeds (once/if they fix their congestion problem that is).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

FTTC is quite capable of 100Mbps+. If you can't get more than 25Mbps then something is not working correctly.

"Congestion" is usually just an excuse. If you can't get 40Mbps+ on your plan at some points in the day then the issue is definitely not congestion.

First thing is to get Optus to test the line. They should be able to confirm you 25Mbps from their end on the spot.
Then they should get NBNCo to come out and check what is wrong.

The modem is a separate issue. If you don't care about the phone then just plug it in and experiment a bit. If you can't get it running than just plug the Optus one back in again. Testing it out would also confirm/rule out if the modem is the reason you are only getting 25Mbps max.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

HI. I had followed up 3 x with the support guy and congestion in my area is the answer. I need to buy a router to test unfortunately no spare.

When accessing my Sagemcom device I can see the "Test xDSL Synchronization" result = pass which Indicates that the DSL modem has detected a DSL signal from the telephone company. Description: A solid DSL LED on the modem also indicates the detection of a DSL signal from the telephone company.

I only replaced my old ADSL2 modem/router with Sagemcom on POTS interface using same analog phone wire. There is NBN line filter for sure before the wall socket. the WAN connection status is shown as below. Does this confirm I can replace Sagemcom with a normal router instead of VDSL modem/router?

B0 Traffic Type: PTM
B0 Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 8787
B0 Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 28400
B1 Traffic Type: Inactive
B1 Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 0
B1 Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 0

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Congestion isn't the issue.

I'm a bit worried about this "wall filter" you mention. ADSL needs a wall filter. They should all be removed (from every line in your home) when using NBN. Its possible this is the reason for your slow speeds so get rid of them.

However you might be misidentifying a NBN NTD box which is itself a powered modem. It has a single CAT5 out option. Is this what you have?

Peter

0 Kudos