cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
alane
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Sagemcom Fast 3864 - do I have to use it and how reliable is it ?

I have recently switched from IINet to Optus, just so I could get EPL.   Beginning to wish I didn't like soccer so much !!!  I had no problems with IINet whatsoever and had a NetGear Router with Gigabit Ports.   We have about dozen devices hardwired in our home (3 xboxes, tvs, foxtel, sonos, etc.) and usage can be quite heavy at times with multiple users.

I changed to Optus 2 weeks ago, and ensured that I paid for the 100mbs package just to ensure no issues with streaming.  I decided to keep my Netgear Router in place because the Sagemcom looked like a piece of crap and had no specification details on it.

After my first week I started getting dodgy messages on my Sonos saying "NETWORK CONNECTION SLOW".    This shouldn't happen (and never happended with IINet), particularly as there is no external site involved, just sonos picking music up from a hard drive that is hardwired in via ethernet.   So I contacted Optus and was told that I am indeed getting the 100mbs package but there are major outages on my system because I am not using the Optus router ??

To be quite frank, this sounds like a load of crap and someone just reading off script.   So anyway, the other day I had a pause on Netflix (which I never had with IINet before !!!) and therefore made the bold move to swap my beloved Netgear with the dodgy looking Sagemcom.    So far all good but its only been 2 days.   However I thought it worth investigating the Sagemcom a bit further, very difficult to see any details anywhere !!!    From initial investigation it appears that the Sagemcom does not have the same strength as my Netgear and there is a risk that it may bottleneck my network, particularly when there are several users at same time playing xbox, streaming and listening to music.

Help.   Can anyone clarify the following:

1) Why do I have to use Sagemcom.   When I initially set the contract up I was told I could still keep my Netgear in place, now the Optus Technical team saying different.    Their advice sounds like tosh (which therefore worries me why Optus Network strength failed me last week)

2) Sagemcom Router - how crap is this router ?  The lack of specification details with the box or on-line lead me to believe it is a piece of junk

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Hannah-L
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Sagemcom Fast 3864 - do I have to use it and how reliable is it ?

Hey @alane, thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. I take it you're using the Sagemcom modem on an NBN service? You would need to use our modem to access the VoIP service but you should be able to use any 3rd party modem/router to connect to the internet.

0 Kudos
alane
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks I thought that was the case.   What really annoys me then is why the Technical Team said I was having poor network speed because I was not using the Optus router.   Lies, which I don't like and it just breeds mistrust in everything related to Optus.

I may rever to my previous router but then that doesn't explain why I experienced slow network speed.    I have NBN, I pay for 100mbs, I had a router able to handle all the devices and I have every device hard-wired (ethernet) rather than wifi.   Therefore there should be no excuse whatsoever for an error message when I try to play music.

I cant say that this switchover to Optus has been a worthwhile experience so far !!!

Casey
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Sorry you feel that way Alane. There might be an underlying issue that may not necessarily be because of the modem, although some advanced modem may have greater WiFi connections. Are you able to confirm if all your connections are wired through Ethernet or are you using WiFi for your Xbox's, TV, etc. If you want us to have a look at your service whilst the Optus modem is plugged in, can you please PM us your account details and DOB for privacy and we can check from our end. 

0 Kudos
alane
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I can confirm that all devices in my house are hardwired i.e. ethernet.   The only devices which are not hardwired are our Mobile Phones.

How do I private message you ?

0 Kudos
Shae
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

0 Kudos
kevy_73
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hello there ... Did Optus manage to resolve your issue so far? I am facing similar issue with random ping dropouts over ethernet and wifi. Live Chat support keeps saying they are experiencing area outage... I was like .. "Huh? .. I am not even trying to access the NBN Internet here..."  https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/NBN/sagemcom-fast-3864v3-AC-specifications/m-p/464290#M13222

0 Kudos
Top Contributors