Searching...

Sagemcom Fast 3684AC V3 Bridge Mode (Double Nat)

tasman77

Hi, I'm using my own DHCP & NAT with my own router and I just simply want to use the 3864AC V3 as a gateway and not route to avoid a Double Nat issue But it seems super difficult to place this thing into Bridge mode? I just want the darn thing to act as a modem and not a DHCP server? Does anyone no how to achieve this or have I missed something? Optus have provided me with a static IP which is a start but have no resources to provide me with details on how to Bridge the crippleware modem. Surely I can't be denied that option?!

Re: Sagemcom Fast 3684AC V3 Bridge Mode (Double Nat)

newline

Firstly: NBN or ADSL? If NBN, which variety - FTTP, FTTN, FTTC, HFC, FW, satellite?

Secondly: Do you require an Optus (VOIP) phone line?

Highlighted

tasman77

Thanks for the reply. 

I’m on NBN, FTTN

newline

OK. Do you need an Optus phone number (i.e. landline)?

Davelew

Hi

In my opinion the way to go is to use a mesh router.  I have an Orbi with a satellite and simple connect to the Optus modem and using the app it is does all the necessary settings for you. Others on this forum use The Google mesh and I now see Kogan have their own as well as a competitive price.

By doing it this way if you have a home phone you can still plug that into the Optus modem.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

SillyGogo

I am thinking the same path as @newline  if you don't need the optus phone, then remove the 3864v3 all together and use your router as the first point. 

Another option is to use your router as your first point and plug in the 3864v3's WAN into the lan port of router. This way your main traffic will only have 1 NAT and the 3864v3 will be use just for the Optus phone line. 

If you are very keen then get a ATA like the Cisco spa112 and remove the 3864v3 all together.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

tasman77
I don't require or have a phone line and I'm currently on FTTN.

[ Edited ]
newline

I assume that your 'router' is a router (only) and not a modem-router. If it's a modem-router, then you don't need to use the Optus device at all.

If it is a router, then your best bet is to buy a cheap (NBN compatible) modem and put it in bridge mode. Connect the router to it. You could also use your router in its access point mode - that may provide all the functionality you want, without the double NAT issue.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
101 Kudos
63 Kudos
26 Kudos
25 Kudos
18 Kudos