cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Sagemcom F@st5366 TN issues

Not yet.

The case Manager organised an NBN technician for Friday between 8am and 12am, who will ring 1/2 hour before they arrive.

I also got an SMS  providing me a REF # which has been sent to NBN for investigation. If they deem it necessary, they will send out a technician to rectify.

Got another SMS about half an hour after that one, saying "The fault should now be resolved. If your issue persists, please message us in My Optus app quoting this Ref #"

To me that would indicate that I'm not going to get a visit on Friday morning, but I'll be up at 8.00am just in case.

I don't subscribe to any social media so don't have a Twitter or Facebook account.

Thanks for the follow up and advice.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

No worries @zingerina, thank you for letting us know. As you have received that message from NBN indicating that the fault should now be resolved, it must mean that they have been able to resolve the issue remotely.

Nonetheless, if they do end up showing to your scheduled appointment for Friday morning, please feel free to let us know how everything goes.

If you are not to able to connect with us via Facebook or Twitter, I suggest getting in touch with our Customer support team via 133 937 to potentially discuss your options in having your modem replaced if necessary (Mon - Fri: 8 am - 8 pm and Sat: 9 am - 5 pm).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Zingerina, maybe Dan the dictator has stuffed it up. lol
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

No. NBN tech didn't turn up, but my NBN outage was just something that happened at the same time I'm having the modem issue.

Haven't noticed an NBN outage before.

So, back to my my issue.

As long as all I have to do after I start my (or any) computer is to restart the modem by turning it off and on, I'll keep on doing that, rather than go through the "process" of asking for a replacement.

Once this stops working entirely, then I'll have no choice but to demand a replacement.

My contract expires in April, 21 so will see what else is availabe.

Thanks for your input and follow up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I've got an idea I'd like to run past you. I have a neighbour in another street who also has Optus FTTC service (found out about this when out on our daily walkies) when I struck up a conversation with him. His service does not include a landline. He's willing to lend me his modem for a couple of hours, from his description it's the same as my F@ST 5366TN.
What I want to try is to turn off and disconnect both my NBN NCD and modem, disconnect my LAN Ethernet cables and basically go through starting up the NBN NCD, then starting up the borrowed modem and plugging in my LAN cables. I'd then be able to see if I still have that lack of Internet connectivity I experience with my modem.
Is each modem specifically tied to a location and type of service, or should I be able to have my landline connection using his modem, and fingers crossed, have Internet connectivity without restarting the modem after I start up a computer. Just out of curiousity I'd check to see what other device info data his modem has.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

No worries @zingerina, thank you for letting us know. In regards to using a different modem, this should be completely fine to test out. Once you have tried this out, please let us know how you end up going with this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi, Thanks for your ongoing interest.

The other night while having nothing else to do I initiated an online chat, first to an AI and then to a real person. It took about 2 hours of typing and froing and explaining, but I got an undertaking and a ref number that I will get a replacement modem within 3-5 days. Got it Wednesday arvo and got a call from a case mgr to see how I was going and whether the replacement modem had solved my issues. I explained that I was having a Zoom session with my mother-in-law in aged care, and that I didn't want to jeopardise that, and will connect it on Thursday night. Connected it last night after unplugging my cables and turning it on.

Well, so far no issues as I rebooted my computers and was rewarded with Internet connectivity without me having to power cycle the modem. This morning, the same same thing. Turn on the computer and Internet connectivity.

Have noticed that the Software Version is old; SG4Y1T000031 whereas the one it replaced had SG4Y1T000109 and also different GUI versions with the one with intermittent connectivity issues also had another entry under Device Info, it being Bootloader Version 0.66.0-sec. Also noticed in the login page, bottom left hand side before logging in, a summary of connection status showing two WiFi, Internet Status as being connected and type of connection FTTH, but I've got FTTC.

I'll wait until I get the call back from a Case Manager re firmware update. Just hope that when/if it gets updated that it doesn't introduce the intermittent issue. Wouldn't thinks so as the earlier modem worked fine for about 2-3 weeks before it experienced those issues. Can only assume that a component somehow drifted outside its +/- tolerance.

Will let you know what transpires after call from Case Manager and firmware update.

Besides me completing the online survey the other night, is there anyway I can provide positive feedback to the operator who arranged to get me the replacement modem. I've got a transcript of our online chat and it contains their name.

Thanks again for your interest.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

A short update.
Replacement modem OK for a day with old firmware, but had short power failure and when modem came back firmware had been updated.
Since then, Friday morning, same behaviour as previous modem. Need to restart after computer starts.
Got a call from a Case Manager checking on how things were going. Told him and he did a line check and told me there was a "bridge tap wire" and he would arrange for an Optus tech to come out next Tuesday. If I got it right; what is a bridge tap wire?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi, Got another replacement 5366TN from Optus and also tried the one from my neighbour, but same issues.

If I have an active connection to the modem, whether Ethernet or WiFi, I can reboot/start another computer/tablet/mobile phone and get online without having to restart the modem.

If I do not have an active Internet connection from any device, I need to restart the modem while the newly started device is on.

So am thinking about having an always on WiFi connection from a mobile phone/tablet and not have to worry about restarting the modem when I turn on a desktop computer.

Or other option, is to restart the modem whenever I start a desktop.

As long as either one keeps working.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors