cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Sagemcom F@st5366 TN issues

I have an Optus Sagemcom F@st5366 TN Modem, connected to the NBN via FTTC, which replaced a previous older Sagemecom due to intermittent modem issues.
I only use wired Ethernet Cat5e cables for connecting my devices.
It was working fine, but just recently, whenever I start my computer (one a Linux, one a W10) I have to power cycle the modem to get Internet connectivity. It doesn't matter whether I do a restart or a cold boot, or in W10 either start up from hibernate or sleep mode.
If one of the computers stays on and connected to the modem, and I restart the other computer, they both can continue to get on and stay on the Internet.
When this problem arises, I can disconnect the NBN NCD from the modem and connect the Ethernet cable directly to the NBN box, and I can get out to the Internet.
However as I have a landline component, the landline isn't operational when I connect directly to the NBN NCD and also I can't see my wired printer or other computer.

Any suggestions?

Mick

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Sagemcom F@st5366 TN issues

Hey Mick, its not great to see that you are having issues getting your modem up and running. As this has only happened recently, there may be some maintenance or outage happening in your area. To check on your address, you can do so via this link here → https://bit.ly/3m1ef79

Just in case as well, I have also attached our troubleshooting link here → http://bit.ly/2YybzS5 which will provide you with some more information and guides on how to better the connectivity from your premise. Give those a shot and see how you go. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi, Thanks for the links and the suggestions, but nothing new there and no joy.

Borrowed a neighbour's MacBook Pro and I have the same issue as with my two computers.

As long as I can get online by power cycling the modem, I'll just continue to plod along for a while.

Can't think of anything else to do, to try and identify what is causing the issue.

I thought if there was a way of somehow seeing and measuring what voltages are sent on the Ethernet cable when it first connects to the modem when starting a computer and what comes down the cable once comms is established.

Also thought about connecting a "permanently on" headless device (like Rapsberry Pi) so that I don't have to power cycle the modem. But that means I'd have to have another power source.

Gives me something to do while still in lockdown here in Melb.

Would be nice to if I was able to get some technical specs for the modem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Completely understand where you are coming from there @zingerina. I'm based in Melbourne too and so am with you on that one. 

I have attached some modem guides here → https://bit.ly/2Zkz2Xd which will just give you some insight into your devices features and functions. From my understanding as well, the Ethernet cable is unable to determine voltages but generally speaking an Ethernet connection almost always provides both a stronger and more reliable broadband service.

I would suggest clearing the line that your modem is currently connected too, just to reduce any interruptions caused internally by other devices. Once the other devices have been disconnected, please connect the modem directly to the designated socket and perform a power cycle

Simply unplug the power cord from behind the modem, doing this should turn all lights off. From there, just allow at least fifteen minutes to pass before re-plugging everything back in the correct ports.

If you could give try those, that would be much appreciated. 

Hope you are taking the new lock down laws better than me haha 🙂 Craving for some proper  city coffee so much

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your response and suggestions.

Just in case I may have misled you in how the modem is connected. I have FTTC.
NBN NCD - Gateway (yellow Ethernet port) -> Optus Modem WAN (red Ethernet port)
My other devices are plugged into the Lan ports on the Modem.
Port 1 other computer, Port 2 Printer (both with dedicated IP Addreses in the 192.168.0.xxx range)
Port 4 main computer with reserved IP Address in the 192.168.0.xxx range
I use the main computer to access the Internet, with the other computer and printer being turned off.
So my power cycling happens whether they are on or off.

"Simply unplug the power cord from behind the modem, doing this should turn all lights off. From there, just allow at least fifteen minutes to pass before re-plugging everything back in the correct ports."

I should unplug all the devices from Ports1,2 & 4?
Should I also disconnect the Modem from the NBN NCD?

Disconnect the power cable and wait 15 minutes and plug the cable back in.
When I do the power cycling, it normally takes about 1-2 minutes for the four lights (Power - waxes and wanes a bit, Wan light is next, then the @ Internet light flashes and steadies, and then the Phone light flashes and steadies) to restablish themselves.

After I plug the power back into the modem do I reconnect NBN NCD to Modem?
Should I reconnect the two computers and printer in any particular order?
Should I have the other computer and printer on or off, or does it not matter?

Hope these questions are no too confusing.
Just trying to establish what and in what order.

I'm having far too many coffees at home, but believe it or not one of the first things I'd like to do is to actually hold a physical magazine in my hand. I read them on my Kindle, but it doesn't feel the same as turning physical pages. Obviously showing my age.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Highlighted

No worries @zingerina. Thank you for letting us know. In regards to the way you unplug and then re-plug in your devices and the power cable, it shouldn't specifically matter what order you may do this in.

I do recommend that you have your devices turned off first before you unplug them, just for safety reasons. Once you have also plugged back in the power I recommend that you plug in the NBN NCD to the modem as well, as this will be necessary in order to get your service running again.

Nonetheless, let us know how you go with this process and if you end up running into any further troubles. Also, feel free to reach out to us via our Facebook and Twitter pages if you are seeking to discuss this further in a private inbox. 

As I'm based in Melbourne as well, I definitely can reside with your current situation. All these coffees at home have shown how much truly miss our great Cafe's in this city 🙂

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm going to leave doing the actions for a couple of days as my wife has a Zoom session arranged with her Mum, who is in aged care.

Just in case the restarts and resets cause an ongoing issue, not that I imagine they would, but just in case.

I'll let you know the outcome of your suggestions.

Cheers Mick

0 Kudos
Highlighted

No worries @zingerina, sounds great.

Let us know how you go with all of this 🙂 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I had an NBN/Optus outage just a little while ago, in that there was only the power light on the modem and only the power light and connection light on and solid blue on the NBN NCD.

So, no landline and no Internet.

So, turned off the modem and unplugged it as well as the NBN NCD.

Waited about 10 minutes; turned on the NBN NCD and all I got was power light (solid blue) and an intermittent blue connection light, with occasional clicking coming from the NCD.

Onto Optus 13****, explained the issue and one of the case managers said he'd organised an NBN technician to come tomorrow morning.

Got a text message to say my case was sent to NBN for investigation, and if they deem it necessary they will send out a technician.

Looks like I'll be up at 8am, just in case.

While on the mobile phone to him, the NCD came good, and the Optus Modem had all of it's lights operating, but sadly I still had to restart the modem while the computer was connected to get the Internet.

So, I am convinced that the modem must have a fault.

How do I go about getting a replacement modem?

Thanks again for your advice

0 Kudos
Highlighted

No worries @zingerina, thank you for letting us know.

Just to confirm with you, did a technician form NBN/Optus end up coming out to check out your connection?

In regards to having a modem replacement issued, I highly recommend reaching out to us via our Social Pages on Facebook or Twitter, where one of our members will be able to assist in having this done if necessary 🙂

0 Kudos