Searching...

Sagemcom F@ST3864AC firmware issues

frstrated

After experiencing several days of constant internet dropouts, I was informed by an Optus technician that due to the latest firmware upgrade (8.382_F@AST3864AC_Optus) I could no longer p,if my modem into a power board and that it need to be plugged directly into the wall socket.

this solution seems to have fixed my drop out issues.

However, my power board was also a surge protector and I am very concerned that by plugging directly into the wall socket, I am now exposing all my equipment to power surges. Which we get in my area.

I tried to explain this to another Optus technician, but she had no idea what I was talking about and suggested I talk to Sagemcom.

I’m not happy with this suggestion. Optus supplied, installed and updated this modem, so in my opinion, they are responsible for supporting it and any updates they push out.

I need a solution.

Re: Sagemcom F@ST3864AC firmware issues

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

FWIW powerboards are over rated. If you're really concerned just plug only the modem into the wall directly and that should limit and surge issue to just blowing up your modem.

Note that the issue would be very unlikely to be fw related (fw doesn't relate to power plugs) However if not using the power board has apparently fixed the issue then it's likely the powerboards is doing something strange or is faulty. These boards are meant to regulate power so it's cleaner not worse.

FWIW Optus are responsible for providing a working unit that you plug into the wall. They can't be responsible for handling the 1000's of other potentially incompatible products customers might use.

It would seem you currently have a working solution?

Peter Gillespie

frstrated

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I suppose I have a working solution.

I am concerned that I am bypassing my surge protector. The power where I live is unreliable and often if there is an outage it comes back irregularly, causing brown outs and surges. I have had equipment damaged as a result. The modem is still physically connected to my TV and Fetch box. So these are now exposed to damage.

The information I relayed regarding the firmware causing issues with the power board came directly from an Optus technician. It seems that this is a known issue with the latest firmware update.

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Hi,

Not knowing the protector but some have cat 5 plugs. Could you use these while the modern per remains unprotected? Could you buy a cheap cat5 only surge protector?

The fw update issue still seems unlikely imo. Optus staff do have occasion to make up good sounding reasons that can't really be verified. Your the first to ever mention the issue here. However fingers crossed the next update might fix it.

You could also set up wifi to the tv and fetch unit? Not as good as wired but it will likely be good enough you'll not notice any difference?

Note the fetch unit is owned by Optus so if it blows up they'll replace it.

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted

primosolada
The firmware couldn't possibly detect how the power is supplied. And you do know these domestic surge protectors are like fuses, they only work once... don't you?
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
101 Kudos
63 Kudos
26 Kudos
23 Kudos
18 Kudos